ii. | T E N

E D M U N D

The scene flying overtop was horrific. I thought I'd seen the worst of wars throughout my years, but I was wrong.

This had to be one of the most heartbreaking times. There's a heap of bodies by the gate, where our troops tried in vain to escape and that, was the hardest pill of all to swallow- that so many had no choice but to wait for their death while I was currently being carried to safety.

While the Griffin soared through the air, a familiar figure caught eye. Upon taking a closer inspection, I realised that my eyes were indeed not playing tricks on me. Laying lifelessly amongst the bodies littered across the area, was Nerissa.

"Head back down!" I yelled.

Despite the look of concern on his face, the griffin complied.

I landed on my feet as I dismounted the Griffin, closing the short distance between me and Nerissa.

"Nerissa?" I called as dropped to my knees beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Relief spread through my chest as her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at me with heavy-lidded eyes.

"E-Edmund?" She groans as her eyes widened with worry, "What are you doing here? You need to leave it's not safe." Even though she managed to get out the words, they sounded slurred, which only made me even more worried about her physics state.

Arrows stuck out from her shoulder and gut, and smoke rose from her wounds, it looked as if the metal had somehow burned her. All of that paired with her shallow breathing made fear blossom in my chest that she wouldn't make the trip back if he didn't hurry.

"I couldn't have just left you, could I?" He says, "Imagine what that would do to Peter."

"P-Peter." She manages, letting out a small cry in pain as she tried to sit up, "He made it out, right?"

"He did," I reassure, "Now, stop moving."

"Good." She mutters, almost too soft to hear before her eyes slowly start to flutter close.

"Nerissa?" I call, panic clawing at my chest when I don't get a reply from her as she laid lifelessly in my arms, "Nerissa!" I try again, tapping lightly on her cheek, but still, no reply.

I curse under his breath, draping Nerissa's arm over my shoulder and supporting her around her waist as I begin dragging her towards the Griffin, startlingly aware that we may be running out of time.

"Hey, you!" A foreign voice calls from above.

My eyes snapped up just in time to see a Telmarine soldier call over his shoulder for backup.

"Alright, c'mon." I mutter under my breath, lifting her onto the Griffin's back. "Go now!" I yell as soon as he secures Nerissa onto the griffin's back.

Hanging on for dear life while making sure Nerissa doesn't lose hers, we fly off towards safety.

As the cool night breeze caresses my face, the only thought in my mind is that I hope we make it out of this alive. For my brother's sake.