ii. | N I N E

N E R I S S A

Tensions flew high as we gathered in the Stone Table room once again. The details had been ironed out and the plan was set. Thankfully, both Peter and Caspian had managed to come to some sort of compromise.

As always, I helped Peter strap into his gear and in return, he helps me with mine. Somehow, this had become something of a pre-battle ritual for both of us.

Peter brushes a stray strand of hair from my face as I finished up with the straps before resting his hand on my cheek.

"Be careful out there." He says, leaning forward to plant a kiss on my forehead.

"You know I will." I offer him a reassuring smile, "Promise me you will, too?"

He clasps my hand, bringing it up to his lips and pressing a kiss to my palm.

"I promise."

I turn to Caspian as he approaches, pulling him into a hug.

"Watch each other's back, alright?"

"Yeah, yeah." Caspian rolls his eyes, "You've only reminded us a couple hundred times."

He grimaces as I smack him in the chest, rubbing at the area, prompting a laugh from Peter.

"Well, won't you look at that," I teased, "My two favourite boys are finally warming up to each other."

"What about me?" Edmund demands from behind me, clutching his chest feigned offence.

I chuckle, shaking my head. "You know I love you too, Ed."

Before Edmund could answer, Glenstorm joins us, armed and ready.

"The troops are ready to go, sire." He informs, "Just say the word."

Peter nods, "Let's move out, then."

*

I stand by Glenstorm in the dead of the night, looking out at the overview of the castle from our vantage point as we await Edmund's signal.

His drop-off was a success, followed by Peter's, Susan's, and Caspian's. Now, all there was to do was wait.

My nerves sung with pre-battle jitters. It's been a while since I've carried out a raid like this one.

Anytime now. I take a deep breath in and out, tightening my fist around my bow that I already had at the ready.

It killed me to not know exactly what was going on inside, but patience was the virtue. I knew that by now.

I was counting down the minutes. If we didn't receive our signal another two minutes, I'd have to make the weighted decision- risk our troop's lives and forge on ahead or to retreat and leave whatever troops we had that was already inside to their own defences.

The thought of leaving Peter, Caspian, Edmund, and Susan behind made my stomach clench.

I pushed away the gnawing worry and focused on the looming castle up ahead.