i. | F O U R T E E N

N E R I S S A

The sound of twigs snapping pulls me out of sleep. There was a clear silhouette of two figures outside my tent and without a second thought, I reach for the dagger hidden under my hammock and threw it.

The knife goes shooting through the sky, landing with a loud thud on a tree- judging by the sounds of it, followed by several loud curses.

"What in the-" Edmund's voice sounds through the quiet night.

I let out a groan in annoyance before getting to my feet.

"What are you two doing creeping around my tent in the middle of the night?" I demanded as I walked past the Pevensie boys to retrieve my knife.

"You almost got me in the head with that thing!" Edmund yells, his face now drained of colour.

I roll my eyes, "Well, thank god I wasn't aiming for your head, then. Maybe try to be less obvious next time?" 

"Wait," The older boy speaks, "You knew it was us and you still threw a knife at us?"

I simply shrug, "Consider that a lesson for you. If you were going to sneak up on someone, do it properly."

I proceed to remove my dagger from the trunk of the tree in which it landed in as the two boys watched.

"Now, what do you want?"

The two boys exchange a glance as if just remembering that they were here for a reason.

"There was a leaf-lady in our tent that just appeared out of nowhere. But she wasn't bad or anything-"

I raise a hand to stop the younger boy from blabbing on.

"I'm sensing there's a point here. So, are you going to get to it or not?"

"It's Aslan!" Peter interjects, "H-He's-"

Peter didn't need to finish his sentence, the look on his face told me everything I needed to know.

I quickly grab my weapons from my tent before rushing over to Oreius's tent which was a few tents away from mine.

"Oreius!" I call from outside.

I hear fumbling inside and a few moments later, Oreius emerges from his tent.

His face falls as his eyes meet mine, "Milady, what's the matter?"

"The Dryads have come with a message for the Princes." I explain, "We're going to need to check Aslan's tent."

"I'll do it." Peter says, straightening out, "I want to be the one to."

I nod, impressed at the boy's willingness to step up to the plate.

The three of us follow behind Peter and we wait outside while he heads in to check.

I notice the map that has been set up outside of the Lion's tent and my heart aches at the thought of everything he has left behind if what the Dyrad's claims were true.