ii. | T W E L V E

P E T E R

I swaddle Nerissa up in yet another blanket. She's still shivering even though it's hardly that chilly out and after three layers of blankets, she's still freezing cold. One more blanket and we won't have anything to sit on when we get to where we're going, but that didn't matter, I'll gladly let my slacks get a little muddy if it meant Nerissa was nice and warm.

Tucking the blanket under her chin and making sure any exposed skin save for her face was covered and shielded from the wind, I pull myself back onto the horse, regaining control of the reins. All while Nerissa is pressed against me, her back to my chest as we continue to make our way through the woods.

I snap the reins, and soon enough, we were back en route.

"Where are we going?" Nerissa asks halfway through. Hearing the shiver in her voice, I pull her closer to me.

"You'll see, my love."

She nods wordlessly, leaning her head back against my chest and basking in the sun against her skin with a small smile on her face.

I can't help the smile that tugs at my lips as I watch her. I don't even think she notices how effortlessly beautiful she was. I take in every freckle that dusts across her nose and over her cheeks, and the scar across her eye, though slightly faded now. Some people think of it as a flaw, but me? I think it contributes to her personality and I absolutely love it.

Leaning forward, I plant a kiss on her cheek. Her eyes flutter open and the smile she rewards me with fills my chest with warmth.

"I love you." She says softly, her smile widening.

"I love you, too. So much." I mutter into her hair, pressing a kiss there. Mine.

When Nerissa's head lolls against my chest and her breathing evens out, I knew she had fallen asleep. Banding an arm around her waist to support her, I take extra care when rising over bumps in the pathway, not wanting to wake her up.

We move at a steady pace and before long, we were at our destination.

Smiling down at Nerissa's sleeping form, I press my lips against the crown of her head, "Wake up, sleepyhead. We're here."

I wait a couple of seconds, expecting her groggy voice to ask us where we are, considering I'd never told her where we were headed, but it never comes.

"Darling?" I gently shake her shoulder, "Time to wake up, now."

Her hand slips off her lap, falling limply to her side, causing my heart to lurch out of my chest.

"Nerissa, wake up." I call urgently, cradling her face in my arms, "Wake up, my dear. Why aren't you waking up?"

Minutes tick by and panic claws at my throat as I desperately try to wake her. The first thought that pops into my head was that the fire-flower juice didn't work as well as we thought it did. But no, it didn't make sense. Her chest was rising and falling, although her breaths came in shallow spurts, she was still breathing.

The skin of her cheek was cold as I rested my palm on it. But then again, she was complaining about feeling chilly.

"Nerissa!"