ii. | O N E

N E R I S S A

"Oh come on, Caspian! I know you can do better than that. I didn't train you to drag your feet like that." I tease, as I watch him pick himself off the ground, "Move your arse, brother."

"It's five in the morning, Nerissa. I'm barely even awake." Caspian grumbles, "This was not what I expected when I asked you to train me."

"What did you expect, then? A bed of roses?"

"No, but certainly not this."

"If you want to be the best, you've got to train like the best."

Caspian rolls his eyes, "Did you just compliment yourself?"

"I wasn't talking about myself, you dimwit. But I certainly am flattered that you think I'm the best." I joke.

"Weren't you?" Caspian swings his sword in an arc at the ground, chopping up some of the grass, "How was it like back then?"

"During the Witch's rule? Cold. But it got better."

I smile at the fond memories that flash through my head- most of them featuring a certain blue-eyed King.

The Pevensie's were long gone, now. It's been centuries and there's still no sign of their return and it seems like my hope was dwindling along with their presence here in Narnia and training Caspian was a welcomed distraction.

"You still miss him," Caspian says, more a statement than a question.

I nod, letting out a heavy sigh. "I do," I admit, "More than anything."

"Do you think they'll ever come back?"

There was a time where I would've said yes in a heartbeat, but as more time passed, I'm not so sure anymore.

"I don't know."

The words felt bitter on my tongue. I hated this- this hopelessness and the uncertainty that comes along with it. Especially now, after Caspian's father's death. The man had easily became a father figure to me and his death- no, his murder- was hard to swallow. Even more so when I have my suspicions as to who is responsible for it.

Taking a deep breath and shaking the thoughts from my head, I pulled my shoulders back and fixed on a smile.

"We should get back before Cornelius finds out we're gone and has an aneurysm."

"I can't believe you're still afraid of Cornelius. You do know you're technically older than him, right?" Caspian raises a brow at me, "In fact, there's no one in the castle the castle that you're not older than."

I snicker, "First of all, I'm not afraid of Cornelius, I just respect him enough to not want him to worry. There's a difference. Second of all, you think that will stop him from treating me like I'm a rebellious teenager?"

Caspian snickered as he led us back to the castle with his sword swinging haphazardly from his hand.

I glanced down at the sword in my hand. One more thing I missed, was Nikephoros and my bow. Was it possible to miss inanimate objects? Well, apparently so.

It wasn't long before we reached the castle walls. Caspian and I snuck back into the place using the hidden side door that I had scouted out when I first got here, which now felt like centuries ago.

Life has taken a new turn for me, although I'm not quite sure if I'm going to feel whole again in this lifetime.

Not only was I missing Peter, sneaking around with Caspian like this reminded me of Jed. The two are much alike, it only seems to remind me more of all that I've lost and I'm tired of constantly feeling like this- lost and constantly waiting. But letting go didn't mean forgetting, and perhaps that was the worst part of it all. The fact that no matter what, these memories will always be with me and the pieces of my heart that I've given away I'll never get back.

"Nerissa?" Tears burned at the back of my eyes as Caspian's voice snaps me back to reality. His brows are knitted together in worry as he holds the door to my room open for me. "You alright, sis?"

Blinking quickly, I nod and force a smile that I wasn't sure looked as convincing as I hoped it would before shoving at Caspian's shoulder playfully. "Now, get out of here before you get us both in trouble."

Caspian chuckles, shaking his head at me before taking off in the direction of his own room with a wave goodbye.

Collapsing onto my bed, I close my eyes, finally letting the tears trickle down my cheeks. Truth be told, a part of me wished I was never dug out from under those ashes. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt as much as this.

*

I jerk awake to the sound of my bedroom door creaking open. Somewhere along the way, I must've fallen asleep. The room is dark now that the night sky had taken over, the only light that illuminated the room was from the moonlight that spilled in from my bedroom window.

I listened closely to the soft shuffling of feet and immediately knew who they belonged to.

"Professor?" I called, sitting up in my bed.

"It's me," Cornelius confirms, failing to hide the worry in his voice that has the alarm bells going off in my head.

"What's wrong?"

He creeps closer to my bed, worry etched onto his features. "You have to help your brother." He says, "Miraz just had a son."

There was no explanation needed for that statement, immediately, I jumped out of bed. Any delay could cost Caspian his life and I've just about had enough of losing the people that I loved.

"Where is he?"

"He has already fled the castle. I've instructed him to head towards the forest. If the legends are true, if they're still other Narnians out there, he's going to need your help." He states.

"But Sir, what about you?" I ask, draping a cloak over her shoulders.

"I'll be fine." He says, "I trust that you should remember how to use these by now."

I glance down, noticing for the first time the sword, bow, and arrows that he held in his hands.

"I thought they were gone," I mutter, taking it from his hands.

The weapons felt so familiar in my hands and though the memories are chalky, there was no doubt that no other weapons have ever compared to these.

"They're coming. You have to go, now!" Cornelius rushes, pushing me into my closet and shutting it behind me.

"Where is she?" A deep voice bellows as the Guards poor into my room, weapons at the ready and aimed right at poor Cornelius.

I curse under my breath as I watch the scene unfold from the small crack in the doors. My heart was heavy, but I needed to leave. Caspian needed me.

Steeling my nerves, I spin around, feeling for the backboard of the closet and removing it to reveal the secret tunnel tucked away behind it.

Stealing one last glance at Cornelius, I head into the tunnel before I can change my mind.