i. | S I X

N E R I S S A

"Why are they all staring at us?" Asked the older girl.

"Maybe they think you look funny." The young one replied and I found myself smiling to myself at her joke.

"Oi, stop your fussing." Mr Beaver nudges his wife, "You look lovely."

We stopped before Oreius, who stood before a large tent.

Even from here, I could already feel his mighty presence.

The boy drew his sword and pointed it towards the sky, "We have come to see Aslan." He stated shakily, I shook my head as I noticed the way he held his sword.

"Oreius." I greeted as I stepped out from behind the boy.

The centaur bows slightly, his lips curling into a smile as he sees me, "Milady."

"Will you ever stop with that?" I questioned, raising a brow at him.

"Never, Milady. As I've said we Centaurs-"

"Take pride in being well-mannered." I finish the sentence before he could, "Got it."

Oreius lets out a chuckle before returning to his usual serious self.

"He's in there?" I ask, gesturing towards the nearby tent.

Oreius nods in reply as he gazes at the tent, "He has been awaiting your arrival, Milady."

I watched from the corner of my eyes as the lion majestically emerged from the tent. I drew my blade, resting it's tip on the ground as I fell to my knees.

The Humans and Beavers watched in awe, before following.

"Welcome, Peter, Son of Adam. Welcome, Susan and Lucy, Daughters of Eve. And welcome to you, Beavers. You have my thanks." Aslan spoke, "And to you, Nerissa. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, my almighty warrior." He pauses, scanning the crowd.

"But where is the fourth?" He questions.

"That's why we're here, Sir." Peter says as he rises, returning his sword to its sheath and I follow, "We need your help."

"We had a little trouble along the way," Susan spoke.

"Our Brother has been captured by the White Witch." Peter continues, drawing murmurs from the crowd.

"Captured? How could this happen?"Aslan asks.

"He betrayed them, Your Majesty." Mr Beaver spoke, causing the murmurs to grow louder.

"Then he has betrayed us all!" Oreius yelled.

"Peace, Oreius." The Mighty lion spoke, "I'm sure there is an explanation."

Silence followed and I found myself gazing at my feet uncomfortably, wanting to say something but not knowing if it was my place to speak.

"It's my fault really," Peter spoke.

I tore my gaze from my feet, snapping my head towards the boy, shocked by his reply.

"I was too hard on him." He explains.

Susan places a comforting hand on his shoulder, "We all were." She says, sharing the weight of his burden.

"Sir, he's our Brother." The young one spoke as she looked at the lion with those puppy-dog eyes.

"I know, dear one." The lion spoke gently to the young girl, "But that only makes the betrayal all the worse."

He sighs, staring at the ground in deep thought.

"What are your thoughts on this, my Warrior?" He asks.

At first I think he's talking to Oreius, until I look up to find both him and Oreius staring at me, patiently awaiting my reply.

My mouth falls wide open, taken aback by the fact that Aslan in all of his greatness valued my opinion.

"W-well," I stuttered, only calming down when Oreius shoots me an encouraging nod, "I've had the opportunity to speak to the boy before I left the Witch's castle. I don't think the boy is fully aware of the consequences of his actions. The Witch is using him, that's what she does best."

Aslan nods thoughtfully, "If you don't mind, Nerissa. I would like to speak to you in tent."

"Of course, your Majesty." I gulped.

The Lion retreats into his tent and Oreius gestures for me to follow. I gulp, glancing nervously at Oreius as I pause in front of the entrance of his tent.

Oreius snickers, before leaning over and giving me a light shove.

I stumble into the tent, where Aslan was already waiting.

I clear my throat, straightening up, "Sir."

"There's nothing to be nervous about, Great Warrior." He offers me a reassuring smile, "I would just like to thank you for all you've done for Narnia while I was away. You taken great care of our people and for that, you have my gratitude."

"T-there's no need for that, Sir." I reply, letting out a nervous laugh, "Your people were in need of protection. It was the right thing to do."

"Indeed, it is the right thing to do." The Lion says, walking closer to me, "But not something many would. Even Oreius speaks highly of you. Therefore, I would like to appoint you the rightful Guardian of Narnia. A role with heavy responsibility, I know. But yours if you want it.

For the second time today, I find myself at a loss for words.

"B-but I-" I stammered, "Sir, with all due respect, would you really want someone who isn't a Narnian as to be the Guardian of Narnia?"

"Isn't Narnian? I would disagree." He says, "Your ancestors may be of Charn, but that doesn't make you any less of a Narnian. You risked your life to save our people, if anything I think you are most deserving to be called a Narnian."

"Sir, I don't know if I'm ready for this." I reasoned.

Aslan simply smiles at me, "Again, I disagree. It is your prophecy, is it not?"

"Well, a couple years ago I didn't even know about it. I am not worthy of a position like this." I argue.

Aslan chuckles, "You are, dear one. You just don't see it yet." He continues, "Take it from me, this is what you were meant to do."

I fall silent, my heart pounding out of my chest. Thoughts about how this could all go sideways racing through my mind, but at same time, maybe he was right, maybe I was meant for this.

"Draw your sword, Warrior." He instructs.

I do as I was told, getting down onto one knee as he places his paw on my shoulder.

"Now, raise, Lady Nerissa." He says taking a step back, "Phoenix Archer, Warrior and Guardian of Narnia."