i. | F O U R

N E R I S S A

"Idiots." I scolded under my breath.

They had left a trail of footprints behind, leading me to their exact location. To be completely honest, I'm surprised the wolves haven't been able to track them down.

I shook my head as I continued to follow the trail that led me to the rock bridge. For some reason, the footprints were starting to fade now, but I carried on in the same direction regardless.

I moved as quickly and silently as I could through the woods, knees slightly bent, placing my feet down cautiously, heel first, then toes. Walking like that came as second nature now. It made less noise and drew less attention, it may seem like something totally useless to do, but in circumstances like these, it may just save my life.

Soon, I emerged through the woods and found myself at the edge of the cliff, staring down at the frozen river.

I squint my eyes at the figures making their way across in a distance. A smile graces my face as I watch the older boy bend down to let his little Sister jump on his back, reminding me of the memories of Jed and I when we were younger.

I furrowed my brows as I hear the faint sound of bells ringing. Scanning the perimeter, I desperately try to locate the source of the sound. I silently pray that it wasn't who I thought it was. The sons and daughters of Adam and Eve, along with the Beavers would be as good as dead if it was her.

I always had faith that my battle skills wouldn't fail me, but the White Witch would surely have brought backup. There was no guarantee that I could take them all by myself.

Finally, I catch sight of the source. A gasp escaped my mouth and my eyes widened, indeed it was a sleigh. It must've been the Witch, I wrecked my brain but couldn't come up with anyone else who rode around in a sleigh.

"Hey!" I yelled, hoping any one of them would hear me as I dashed across the thick snow and down the rock bridge as fast as my legs could carry me.

"Hey!" I tried to gain their attention again, frantically waving my arms.

This time, I successfully catch the attention of Mr Beaver.

"Quickly, she's here! Run!" I warned, letting out a sigh of relief as soon as they started running.

At least now, their odds looked just a touch better.

I pushed myself to pick up the pace and soon, I joined them as they fled.

"This way!" I guided, leading them down a small path and into a shallow cave by the side, just deep enough to fit all five of them.

"Stay here and don't move until I come back to get you." I instructed.

The five fugitives exchanged nervous glances before the boy starts to protest, "But it's too dangerous!"

"If you value your lives, you'll do as I say." I said, keeping my voice down, "Now, don't make a sound. I'll be back."

After making sure the five of them were safely hidden, I make my way up the cliff.