i. | F I F T E E N

N E R I S S A

Peter and I start to make our way up the hill after a short while and I find myself feeling nervous along the way.

Guilt filled my chest as I wondered if Oreius was mad at me for snapping at him. Honestly, I couldn't blame him if he was.

Peter seems to pick up on my nervousness as he reaches over to take my hand, taking me by surprise.

My eyes dart up to look at him and for some reason, the gesture makes me feel slightly self-conscious.

"It's going to be okay." The King reassures.

I swallow hard as his eyes meet mine. I've never felt like this around him before, or maybe I've just been too focused on everything else to notice.

"Right, thanks for that. But..." I nod towards our intertwined hands, "You can let go now."

The boy's face turns a bright shade of red as he finally releases my hand.

He gulps, "Sorry."

We walk in silence the rest of the way back, although I catch Peter stealing glances every once in a while.

Soon, we approach Aslan's tent. Edmund jumps to his feet as soon as he sees us, "You're back!"

Oreius tears his eyes away from the map he had been staring at, at the younger boy's statement and offers me a smile.

It feels as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulder at the sight of that as I return a sheepish smile.

Peter joins his brother and I turn to Oreius as the both of them engaged in their own conversation.

"Oreius, I think I owe you an apology." I start but Oreius holds up a hand to stop me.

"There are no apologies needed, Milady." His smile widens, "It looks like you've done some convincing with the King. For that, you have my thanks."

I shake my head, "I didn't do much, really. Narnia needs them and he knows that. He would've come around with or without my help."

"If we want an advantage over the Witch, we need to act fast," Oreius states, drawing the King's attention.

"How close are they?" Peter questions.

"The Witch's army is nearing, Sire." He responds, "What are your orders?"

"Nerissa," Peter calls before turning to face.

"Yes, your majesty?"

The boy looks at me, appearing a little unsure of himself. So, I give him an encouraging nod and he seems to regain himself.

"I know this isn't going to make much of a difference, but I want you to train us as best as you can for the rest of the day and Oreius will do the same with the rest of our man." He orders, "We need to make sure everyone is prepared for what's to come."

"With your willingness to learn, Sire, I think it'll make a world of a difference," Oreius reassures.

I nod, "Agreed. Now, let's get to work, shall we?"