i. | S E V E N

P E T E R

"My apologies for interrupting, Sir." The familiar voice sounds from behind me, "You wished to see me?"

I turn around to see the Archer standing behind me and immediately, I feel my face starting to heat up.

Honestly, I wasn't sure why seeing her made me feel this way, but it did.

"G-good morning." I stuttered as I greeted her.

The Lion lets out a laugh as he watched me before turning to the girl.

"Oh yes, Nerissa!" The Lion smiled, "You're not interrupting at all. In fact, you came just at the right moment."

"If you don't mind me asking, Sir. What is this about?" She asked gently.

Aslan smiles, "I was just about to get to that, Dear One." He says before continuing, "I know I've told you that your duties lies with the people of Narnia. But not just that, they also lie with the future Kings and Queens of Narnia. Therefore, your priorities will not just be the people of Narnia but the Sons of Adam and Daughters of Eve as well. You are to keep them safe." 

She nods, worrying at my bottom lip as she silently listened on to what the Lion has to say, "All these sudden responsibilities may be a lot of bear, but I think if anybody could handle it, it'll be you, Nerissa."

There is a moment of silence as the Archer takes it all in.

"Oh yes, I do have one more thing to ask of you." The Lion adds, "If it's not too much to ask, could you take Peter under your wing and teach him some basic fighting skills? I think that'll come in handy some time in the future."

The Archer glances at me, scanning me from head to toe before raising a brow at me.

I gulp as I start to fidget under her strong gaze and suddenly feeling extremely self-conscious.

"Sir, with all due respect, don't you think it's a little late to start training now?" Nerissa replies, "Maybe it's best to leave the fighting to those who already know what they're doing on the battlefield."

I find myself frowning at her reply, what was that supposed to mean?

It's clear that she had seen my expression as the corner of her lips quirk up into a smirk and she shrugs.

"No offence." She adds.

I had to stop myself from drowning even more, "None taken." I reply, but that bitter feeling from her comment still lingers.

Aslan chuckles at our short exchange, "It's never too late, my dear."

"Well, I agree, Sir. But it'll take..." She trails off with a sigh, eyeing me once more, "A whole lot of training and time."

"Yes, but I'm sure Peter is willing to learn. Aren't you, Peter?" The Lion asks.

"Why, y-yes." I stuttered, "Of course."

I glance over at the Archer just in time to see her cork a brow at me in amusement, "Very well then. We'll start training first thing in the morning, Sir."

"Great." The Lion nods in approval, "I'm sure the both of you will get along just fine."

Just then, a loud horn sounds from afar, making my heart sink.

"Susan." I mutter as I glanced at Nerissa worriedly.

She takes off immediately towards the source of the sound and I follow behind her, struggling to keep up with the sheer speed at which she was going.

Soon, I spot Susan and Lucy, taking cover on top a tree as the wolves leap up, trying to get at them, but thankfully missing.

I watch as the Archer draws her sword, ready to jump into battle and I do the same.

It's not long before Oreius and his army joins us as well, blades at the ready.

"No, stay your weapons!" Aslan orders.

Nerissa snaps her head towards the Lion in question and Oreius stops in his tracks, the both of them glancing at each other in confusion.

"This is Peter's battle." The Lion says, trapping a wolf under his paw as it struggled to free itself.

Nerissa and Oreius finally hesitantly lower their weapons, exchanging a couple of worried glances every once in a while.

I watch as the Archer reaches for an arrow, nocking it just in case, making me feel slightly better.

I turn my attention back to the situation at hand, following the wolf as he circles around me, looking as if he was ready to pounce at anytime.

"You may think you're a king." The wolf taunts, "But you'll die, like a dog!"

I hold my sword out in front of me as the wolf pounces at me.

"Peter!" I hear Lucy yell, worry lacing her voice.

I shut my eye tightly, bracing myself as the wolf takes me down to the ground. I feel my sword plunge into its body and a whimper sounds as it lies limp on top of me.

Slowly, I opened my eyes again and relief fills my chest.

A part of me was convinced that I was going to die right then and there.

I feel the wolf's body get pushed off me and I'm immediately met with the faces of my sisters.

I look around still unable to believe that I had just survived that as my sisters pull me into a tight embrace.

For a quick second, I catch Nerissa's gaze which held the same relieve that I felt.

"After him." Aslan's voice snap me out of my trance and the Archer tears her gaze away from me.

The Lion lifts his paw off of the wolf he had in his grasp and it take off running into the woods.

"He'll lead you to Edmund." The Lion finishes.

I watch as Oreius offers Nerissa a hand as he gallops past her. She swiftly grabs it and the centaur pulls her onto his back.

I catch her stealing a glance back as us as they continued into the woods and soon, they were both out of sight.

"Peter." Aslan calls, "Clean your sword."