i. | E P I L O G U E (1)

T E N  Y E A R S  L A T E R

"Come on, Nerissa. Are you really going to make your King beg?" Peter trailed behind Nerissa as she hurried down the hallways of Cair Paravel.

A lot has changed since the Kings and Queen had assumed their rightful roles. Lifelong friendships had been built and Narnia has been thriving beyond belief under their rule, but one would say that Narnia had shaped them just as much.

King Peter for one exuded so much confidence that Nerissa was convinced he might one day spontaneously combust from it. Gone was the uncertain boy that he was the first time she had met him, this man was far from it (and awfully bold as well).

"I think I've made my feelings for you clear as day."

Nerissa stopped in her tracks, whirling around to face him so quickly that she had nearly run into his broad chest. "And I think I've made it perfectly clear that I think this is a terrible idea. I work for you, your Majesty. I hardly think that's professional."

"Nonsense, Nerissa. I've never thought of you as an employee."

She quirks a brow at Peter's response, "Oh? What are we, then?"

"Friends. Close friends, even. Or a couple if you'd just give me a chance."

Nerissa rolled her eyes as she continued down the path, "Do you ever give up?"

"You should know the answer to that question by now, Darling. You're the one who trained me this way. And just so we're both on the same level of understanding, I don't intend to any time soon." Peter replies, flashing her one of his dashing smiles that has her heart doing flip-flops.

Reaching out to catch her wrist, the King pulls her to him, "Warrior duties aside, Nerissa. Give me one good reason why you shouldn't go out with me."

Nerissa took a minute to think about it- really think about it and came up with nothing. It wasn't about the attraction she had to her King. She was attracted to him, insanely so, and those feelings had only deepened over the years of serving by his side. Still, there was something holding her back. Maybe it was just her own insecurities.

"You can't think of anything, can you?" Peter's voice pulls her out of her thoughts.

"We've been through this, Peter. I'm not having this conversation with you again."

He frowns and moves to block her way before she could take off again, "Why won't you agree to go out with me? What are you so afraid of?"

Nerissa crosses her arms over her chest, staring up at her king defiantly, "I'm not afraid."-that might have been a lie. This just held too much uncertainty for her liking. She was afraid and she had no doubts that Peter could see it in her eyes.

"Great! Go out with me, then."

"No."

Peter rakes a hand through his hair with a sigh, "Look, we're both adults here. I like you. Really, really like you as I've said a million times before and I'd like to think that I know you well enough to say that the feeling's mutual. So, why not?"

Nerissa's breath hitches as he reaches over to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear, "Just one date, Nerissa. That's all I'm asking. If you still haven't changed your mind after, I'll stop all the shenanigans. I promise, but not before you at least give me a chance."