ii. | S I X T E E N

N E R I S S A

"Cakes and kettledrums! That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin exclaims, his voice echoing through the cavern as I make my way down the long hallway. "Sending a little girl alone into the darkest parts of the forest?"

"It's our only chance-" Peter comes to an erupt stop.

His eyes immediately snap to mine as soon as I step through the entrance to the Stone room table. I could feel the attention on me now as everyone turns to see what has caught their King's attention.

I ignore the stares, holding Peter's eyes. I'm sure it's hard to miss the underlying challenge in them, daring him to announce the fact that he'd stripped me of my status as warrior.

Peter knew what this meant to me. How much being a protector to Narnia had changed my life. A part of me knows Peter would never do that to me. But then again, he already did.

"My apologies for being late." I say as I come to a stop beside my brother, "Please, do continue."

I catch Caspian's eyes and he furrows his brows at me, eyes darting between Peter and me as if sensing the underlying tension.

I shake my head in reply to Caspian's questioning eyes. Later. He nods in return, averting his gaze to the scene unfolding before us.

"She won't be alone," Susan adds, oblivious to the situation at hand, just like everyone else save for my dear brother.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin says, his eyes pleading with Lucy to stay.

"Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope." Trufflehunter supplies, "Queen Lucy hasn't, and neither have I."

"For Aslan." Reepicheep raises his blade, prompting others to join in.

Trumpkin looks torn and I can see why. But I trusted that Lucy and Susan were capable enough to go through with this.

"I'm going with you." Trumpkin says, but Lucy moves forward placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"No, we need you here."

I keep my eyes trained on them, ignoring Peter's searing gaze that felt as if it was burning a hole into the side of my head.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," Peter says, his gaze never leaving me.

"If I may," Caspian adds, rising from where he was seated beside Cornelius. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But as King, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one, in particular, that may buy us some time."

My brows knit together at Caspian's suggestion. "He won't be able to turn down a challenge to a duel."

"Exactly," Caspian says, "It'll be a good way to distract them."

"That's perfect." I agree, "I can-"

"No." Peter cuts me off swiftly, not even giving me a chance to complete my sentence.

Heads swivel towards us and eyes take us in quizzically. The air around us was filled with a thick layer of tension, I doubt anyone could ignore it this time.

"Maybe it's best we iron out the details at a later time." Caspian's voice breaks through the silence.

It's in times like this when I appreciate having my brother around.

"Caspian's right, this needs careful planning." Edmund nods, his brow quirking slightly as his eyes meet mine as if asking: What the hell has my brother done this time?

Caspian walks past me towards the exit, clapping me on the shoulder as he goes, followed by Edmund. The rest of them start filing out after them, with Lucy and Susan shooting my worried glances at the pass.

Finally, it was just Peter and I. Crossing my arms over my chest, I whirl around to face my fiancé who stares back at me with an impassive face.

"You can't just keep me trapped in my room." I steel my voice, "It doesn't work like that, Peter. I'm not a sick animal that needs saving."

"No, you're not. I never said you were."

"But you're treating me like I am!" I snap, "Peter, there are lives at stake. Lives that I feel responsible for."

"You're not. They're my responsibility, Nerissa. I'm King." He runs a hand through his hair, leaving it dishevelled. "The safety of my people is my responsibility. That includes you."

"Oh. So, you'd strip any of our soldiers of their ranks?" I ask sarcastically.

"Only if I need to." He answers, his eyes hard as they bore into mine.

"That's a load of shit, Peter! And you know it!" I yell, "You promised me when we started seeing each other that you'll treat me just like you would anyone else. No special treatments. Remember that?"

"You're not just anyone, Nerissa. When are you going get that through your head?" His voice is even, but the frustration behind it is evident. He then crosses the room, closing the space between us as he takes my face in his hands, forcing me to look into his eyes. "You're the love of my life."

My heart clenches at the emotion shining in his eyes. He loves me- that was a fact that I knew very well and I've vowed to never take for granted.

I blink the tears that burn at the back of my eyes away, "You can't keep doing this, Peter." I say softly, "We keep fighting and I don't want things to end like that."

"Nothing's going to end. Do you hear me?" His grip on me is firm as if he fears that I'll disappear the moment he lets go.

"That's the thing. It is." I whisper, admitting it out loud for the first time, "I don't know how long I'd have left."

The words hang between us, making the silence that follows jarring in comparison. It's as if saying it out loud makes it all the more real and it scares me.

"Don't say that." Peter's voice cracks, sounding as if he's almost begging, "You don't know that."

"Peter..." I rest my hand above his, clutching it tightly against my cheek, "You're going to have to let me go."

Peter's eyes shine with unshed tears and he sniffles as he shakes his head, "No...no. We're supposed to get married after this all. Maybe start a family in the future. Don't you want that?"

The tears I've been holding back start to trickle down my face at his words. Squeezing my eyes close for a minute, refusing to let my imagination take control, fearing that I'll give in the moment I get even a whiff of what things could be like. But the truth was, all this would ever be was a fantasy that every ounce of my being craved.

"Peter..." I peer up into his eyes, "I can't."

I rip myself from his embrace, even though a large part of me wants to stay there. But truth be told, that will only make it harder.