i. | E I G H T E E N

N E R I S S A

Today was the day of the crowning ceremony. It had gone off without a hitch and was absolutely beautiful. So was the scenery that was before me as I stood on the balcony of Cair Paravel. The grass looked greener than it was before, the trees danced again and the ocean had never looked so alive.

Shutting my eyes, I inhaled the crisp, fresh air deeply. A smile danced across my face. Narnians no longer had to suffer. I just wished Jed was here to see it too.

A horn sounded from behind, making me whip my head around. I lifted the skirt of my dress up slightly, being extremely careful not to trip over the ends of my dress as I took each step.

I had never been used to wearing puffy dresses like this one, they weren't quite practical when it came to battles. Plus, I had always felt uncomfortable wearing them. But today, was an exception. This was an important ceremony after all.

When I re-entered the Great hall which had been turned into a makeshift ballroom, people were already pairing up and hitting the dance floor for the traditional slow dance that everybody was buzzing about before.

I spot the youngest Pevensie in the middle of the dance floor, paired up with Mr Tumnus and the two looked absolutely adorable.

I spun around to the sound of someone clearing their throat to see Peter standing behind me and I immediately dipped into a curtsy. "Your Highness."

A flush works its way to the apples of his cheeks as he scratches the back of his head, "I'll never get used to that."

"You will, your Majesty. It'll just take time."

He shoots me a shy smile, wringing his hands together nervously, "Do you...Would you like to dance with me?" He asks gesturing you the dance floor.

My heart thumps against my chest and I suddenly find myself at a loss for words.

"Oh! I'm afraid I'm not much of a dancer, your Majesty." I managed to reply.

"Neither am I." His lips stretch into a wide smile.

"Well, I'm sure there are other lovely ladies who know what they're doing and would love to dance with you."

I wiped my sweaty palms down on my skirt. I could already hear Jed's voice in my head calling me an idiot.

It seems I'm not the only one who seemed flustered. Peter look just as- maybe even more- flustered than I was as he stumbles over his words.

"Well, I...You know...How about we...." he squeezes his eyes shut taking a deep breath, my heart leaps at the sight of him. A reaction I seemed to be having towards him recently.

"How about we go out into the balcony instead?" Peter suggests after having composed himself.

"Sure."

Peter offers me his arm and I slip mine around him as he leads the way.

I catch sight of Oreius with the corner of his lips curled up into a slight smirk just before we disappear onto the balcony and rolled my eyes.

A comfortable silence settles around us as we stared out at the breathtaking scenery before us. I would never get tired of a view like this.

I feel Peter's gaze on me every once in a while. It was as if he was studying me, trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle, that was me.

I haven't known the Pevensie's for the longest time. But they've never given me a reason to not trust them, Peter, especially and I figured maybe it's time I did- starting with the piece of that puzzle that defined me the most.

"His name was Jed." I glance up at Peter, meeting his eyes. At first, there was confusion and then, it turned to understanding.

He straightens up, stuffing his hands into his pocket as he nods for me to continue.

"We grew up together. Our parents were best friends, so naturally, we were too. When they were killed by the Witch's army, we were all each other had, so he became like a brother to me. Then she..." I paused, swallowing the tears that had swam to the surface.

Peter reaches over, taking my hand in his. This time, I don't fight it. The gesture was comforting, and I find myself being anchored by his touch.

His intense gaze lingers on me as I gather my thoughts and he waited patiently as I did.

"Then she took him away from me, too." I took a deep breath, "The one person that I loved and watched his life slip away right in front of my eyes and the worst part was that she killed him because he was trying to protect me. He lied for me and she made him pay."

"It isn't your fault." Peter croaks.

"It sure felt like it was." I let out a humorless laugh, "For the longest time, all I wanted was revenge. That was the reason why I agreed to help Oreius. So that I could take away what mattered most to her and watch her crumble. But now I know that that isn't what really matters."

I turn to Peter, "I know I said that you could return home after the war is done, and forgive me if I'm overstepping your Majesty, but would it be too much to ask that you reconsider? Narnia needs leaders such as yourself. We-"

Peter holds up a hand to stop me before I could continue, the corners of his lips curling up into a smile.

"We weren't planning on leaving."

I quirk a brow, my mouth falling slack, "You weren't?"

He shakes his head with a laugh, "Narnia is beginning to feel too much like home for us to leave now."

A weird sense of relief spreads through my chest at his words. Maybe it was because a part of me- the part of me that has grown fond of his company- didn't want him to leave too.

A wide grin spread across my face, "You have no idea how good that is to hear, your majesty."

A blanket of silence falls over us once again, after a while, he turns to me, taking a deep breath.

"I really like you." He blurts, taking me aback.

My mouth falls ajar and I find myself totally speechless. Just as I was about to reply, Peter holds up a hand to stop me.

"You don't have to answer me." He says, "It's just nice to get it off my chest. I know it's sudden and I know we haven't known each other for too long. Therefore, I plan on doing everything I can to  get to know you better."

Still, at a loss for words, I simply nod in reply and Peter takes a deep breath, the slight stiffness in his shoulder finally disappearing.

"So," His smile widens as he studies my face, "Would you tell me more about Jed?"

I find myself smiling even brighter at his question, "What do you want to know?"