ii. | E L E V E N

N E R I S S A

Everything hurts. That definitely wasn't a good sign. My head was pounding and it hurts to even breathe. In my years of being alive, I've never experienced anything quite this bad. Wounds typically healed fast and sickness seldom came.

But this, this was something else. My wounds were still wrapped up in bulky bandages. I'd told Peter they were healing fine just to put his mind at ease, but they're not. The blood leaking from the wound where the iron had pierced my flesh had turned a purplish-red, something I've never seen before, along with an unrelenting stinging and to say I was feeling sluggish was an understatement.

A knock at the door startles me from my daze and I scurry out of bed to answer it. Peter has been gone all morning, checking up on our troops. Despite his reluctance to leave me in solitary, I had convinced him I was fine.

I could still see the guilt that laid heavily on his shoulders. He had apologised profusely for leaving me behind, failing to see that none of this was his fault- anyone's fault.

I pull open the door and Caspian stands on the other side. His eyes take in my appearance. From bulky gut from the heaps of bandages that my clothes have failed to hide and my pale complexion, I'm sure I look worse for wear. I've definitely seen better days.

"You look like crap." Caspian blurts and immediately winces at his words, "Sorry," He frowns.

"Yes, I am aware. Thank you, brother. But that's what mirrors are for."

I grimace as I let out a chuckle, a sharp pain coursing through my side and my head starts to spin.

Caspian moves forward in a flash, holding me up before I could hit the floor.

He curses under his breath, looking at me with concerned eyes, "Are your wounds even healing, sister?"

I swallow the lump that forms in my throat, opening my mouth to speak, but the words refuse to form.

My silence seems to say enough for Caspian, "Does Peter know?"

I shake my head, "Don't tell him. The both of you have enough to worry about. I'll be fine, Caspian. It's just taking a minute."

Caspian's eyes bore into mine, "Are you sure?"

I nod, "Absolutely."

He lets out a deep sigh, massaging his temples, looking incredibly torn. "You'd tell me if you weren't?"

"You know I would." Guilt twists in me as the lie leaves my lips. Things were bad as they were now, there wasn't any need to add on to our problems.

Caspian nods curtly, "Peter would want to know, too." He says before turning for the door before stopping with his hand on the handle, "Try and get some rest, would you?"

"I will."

He leaves offering me a comforting smile. Plopping down on the bed Peter and I share, I let my heavy lids finally droop close and let sleep finally claim me.

*

I wake up to a terrible churning in my stomach and the rhythmic beating of my heart threatening to burst out of my chest loud in my ears.

Pushing myself up to sitting position proved to be a mistake as a wave of nausea hit me instantly.

I scramble out of bed, pulling a bucket from the corner just in time before I vomit spilled out of my mouth and into the bucket.

By the time I was done, the bucket was filled almost halfway up.

Cold sweat trickles down the back of my neck as I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. What in the world is happening to me?

My thoughts are interrupted as the handle to the door jiggles, followed by Peter's voice.

"Nerissa? The door's locked."

Panic claws at my throat as I hurry to my feet, rushing into the adjacent bathroom and emptying the bucket into the sink.

Another knock follows, "Nerissa?" Peter calls again, worry lacing his tone, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine!" I call back, my voice coarse, "Just give me a minute!"

"You don't sound fine, Darling."

I don't answer, too distracted by the contents slowly draining down the sink; petals, more specifically, fire flower petals.

I stare at the petals as they slowly disappear down the drain. The pieces clicked in my head, solving the puzzle of why I wasn't healing.

Swallowing the lump that has formed in my throat, I blink back the tears that have welled up in my eyes. It all made sense now.

"Nerissa!" Peter calls again, "Please, open the door. I need to see that you're okay with my own eyes. Open up or I swear I'll kick this door in." There's a beat of silence before Peter calls through the door again, "Nerissa!"

His panicked voice snaps me back to attention. I jump to my feet, stumbling slightly as I move towards our door.

As soon as I unlock the door with an audible click, the door flies open.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Peter's chest is heaving as if he'd just ran a marathon and his eyes were wide with panic as he cups my face, scanning my body for any signs of injury.

"I'm fine, Peter," I reassure, forcing a smile.

"Darling," Peter says, his voice dead serious, "You look as though you're going to faint on me any second. I'd say you're far from okay." He pulls me close, holding me tight against his chest, "What are you even doing up? You're supposed to be resting."

"I got tired of resting," I mumbled, burrowing into his warmth. "Could we...Could we go for a walk?" I ask, peering up at Peter's handsome face, burning every single feature into my memory.

His lips quirk into an adoring smile as he brushes his lips against my knuckles in a fleeting kiss, "Whatever you want, my darling. But, are you sure you're okay?"

I nod, "Never better." I reply, meaning every word, because even if I was in the worst pain imaginable, just Peter's presence alone, makes it all better.

"Okay, then." He brushed my hair out of my face, leveling me with a serious gaze, "But if you feel even a little bit unwell, we come right back."

"Yes, Doctor Pevensie. I wouldn't dare defy your orders." I tease.

Peter huffs out a laugh, shaking his head at my antics before walking backwards towards the door, his loving gaze never leaving mine as he says, "I'll get the horse."

A/N: Hey guys!! So, I'm sorry I've been taking forever with my updates!! I've just recently started working again after all this COVID madness and have been crazy busy. I've been trying my best to post as often as I possibly can and I just wanted to thank you guys for being so incredibly patient!! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy! ❤️