ii. | T W E N T Y

N E R I S S A

I found myself staring up at a beautiful endless blue sky as my eyes fluttered open.

Pushing myself up to my feet, I take in the lush green grass that surrounded me, and the beautiful trees that lined the area. There were a series of mountains in the horizon and I find myself at a loss for words at the breathtaking view.

The place was peacefully silent and for the first time, I realise that the agonising pain that had filled me was gone and in its stead, a level of tranquillity that I've never thought was possible to achieve and I find myself thinking that I could get used to this feeling.

But something didn't feel right, and just like that, from a single image of a certain blond-haired, blue-eyed king, the tranquillity shatters like a mirror as it hits the ground and panic takes over.

I never got to say goodbye.

The mere thought of it feels as if someone had taken a heater blade to my chest, slicing through my flesh with slow, torturous strokes, and the thought of never seeing the love of my life again consumes me and douses me in a pain so intense I thought I was dying all over again.

Then, there was my brother. The idea of him finding me lying dead in the woods makes my heart ache for him and I would never forgive myself for the amount of hurt I would cause him.

A gush of wind caresses my face and I turn at the feeling of another presence beside me.

I whirl around to see the Almighty Lion standing in front of me in all of his glory and immediately fall to my knees, bowing my head in respect.

"Raise, Great Warrior." Aslan greets me, looking solemn. "Though my country was made for noble souls such as yourself, I wasn't expecting to see you here so soon."

I suck in a breath at the realisation of where I was. I look up at the place I'd always hoped I was worthy enough to visit.

A sob wrecks through my throat as I look at the Lion with blurry eyes.

I take a seat on the vibrant grass beneath me, convinced that my legs will soon give in if I didn't.

Tears flow down my face in an endless stream as I try to make sense of everything that has happened, feeling as if my heart has been ripped right out of my chest.

The pain that rushes through me is indescribable, like a thousand knives craving at my soul, making my lungs feel like they're about to give up on me.

Pushing myself onto my knees, I kneel in front of the Lion who stood before me, exuding power.

"Sir," My voice cracks as I mutter the word, bowing my head in respect. "I'm deeply honoured that you'd let me into your country. I've given my life to serve the people of Narnia and I'll do it all over again in a heartbeat. I've never asked for much in my life, but Sir, I'm begging you. All I ask is for a little more time." Tears blur my vision as I raise my head to look up at the Lion, "I just want to say goodbye. Please. That's all I want, Sir."

"Rise, my dear." Aslan speaks, "You're Narnia's esteemed warrior. You do not beg. Not even to me."

The Lion's sad gaze lingers on me before he lets out a deep sigh. "I believe even you know that there's no altering fate, my dear." My heart plummets into my stomach at his words. Dropping my head, I let my tears fall freely.

"Twelve days. That's all I can give you." He states, "Use this time wisely, great Warrior. Second chances aren't easy to come by."

*

The feeling of air that fills my lungs burns more than it should. I blink in rapid succession, clearing my vision quickly and taking in the body of the now-deceased Telmarine soldier laying before me.

How long has it been since I've been out?

Has all of it only been a dream?

Something in my gut tells me that it was far from a dream.

"Nerissa!" Caspian's worried voice invades my consciousness as he comes to a halt in my line of sight. His eyes roam me, taking in my dishevelled state. "What happened? Are you alright?"

I shake my head to clear it, "I...I think I'm fine."

"You think?" Caspian asks incredulously, "I don't think that's something you should be guessing about, Nerissa."

I almost roll my eyes at him. He'd obviously been hanging out with Ed too much- so much so that the younger boy's sarcasm is rubbing off on him.

A sharp pain stabbing at my wrist distracts me from retorting. Looking down, I spot a small mark in the centre; twelve in Roman numerals. My stomach drops at the sight of it.

"Nerissa?" My brother's voice snaps me out of my trance.

I feel tears burning at the back of my eyes as I stare at my brother.

Twelve days...That's all we'll have left.

Giving in to my impulses, I throw my arms around Caspian, pulling him into a bone-crushing hug.

"I love you, brother." My voice comes out muffled by his shoulder, "Thank you for giving me some of the best years of my life."

I feel Caspian's arms coming around my back, reciprocating the hug.

"I love you too...Are you sure you're feeling alright?" The confusion evident in his voice, "What's going on?" He pulls back, takes me in before they land on the black mark on my wrist. "You didn't have that before. What is it? Twelve...What does it mean?"

Caspian eyes me suspiciously when I fail to answer, fearing I might just break down into tears if I do.

"Nerissa? What is it supposed to mean?" He asks again, his tone deadly serious.

"Twelve days, Caspian," I answer, my voice no more than a whisper. "It's the number of days I have left."