i. | E P I L O G U E (2)

"You are aware of how much I hate riding horses right, your Majesty?" Nerissa questions as she eyes the outstretched hand her King had offered her.

"I do." Peter grins from atop his horse, "But we're going to change that today. Come on now, Nerissa. Don't leave me hanging. Take a leap of faith."

With a huff, Nerissa picks up her skirt and takes his hand, letting Peter pull her onto his horse's back.

"You could have at least told me not to wear a dress."

"Why would I? You look nice in a dress." Peter's grin widens even though Nerissa couldn't see him from in front.

Nerissa shuddered as Peter leaned forward, wrapping his arms around her as he took hold of the reins. She could hear her heart beating against her chest like a trapped animal trying to break free.

The sheer proximity between them making her mind a turn into a muddled mess- not to mention that Peter was so close Nerissa could feel his warm breath against the back of her neck that drove her insane and she couldn't help but wonder if being this close to her affected her King as much as it did her.

"Are you ready, my Darling?" Nerissa could feel the rumbling in his chest against her back as she spoke.

Not trusting her voice not to tremble as she spoke, Nerissa nodded in reply instead. Peter let out a chuckle, deep and throaty at the flush working it's way across her cheek.

"Adorable." He whispered, planting a light kiss right under Nerissa's ear.

She had tried to suppress the shiver that shot through her but had failed miserably so.

Without warning, Peter snapped the reins and the horse surged forward. Nerissa shrieked so loud that it shocked even herself as she grabbed ahold of Peter's arm.

The brilliant blush that tinted her cheeks flowed even brighter now. No one has ever seen Nerissa this flustered- no one, not even Jed who had known her best.

Peter let out a hearty laugh, "Relax, Darling. I've got you. I'm not going to let you fall."

"You better not, Peter, or I'll have your head." She threatened- yes because nothing appealed to a man more than threatening to kill him.

"Nerissa, you're making even the horse nervous. Relax."

"I'm trying!"

Horseback riding has always made Nerissa feel queasy. The only reason why she'd taken up Oreius's offers give her rides before was because it would give her an advantage that she couldn't pass up.

On top of that, the route Peter had chosen to take seemed particularly bumpy.

Nerissa could only imagine how this date would go if she had vomited all over her King. Perhaps at the end of this, it would be him who would refuse to go on another date with her and not the other way around as Peter had expected.

"I've got you," Peter mutters against her hair, the words sounding more like a promise when he says them.

Nerissa takes a deep breath, calming herself down and surprisingly, she found herself enjoying the ride more than she thought she would after a while. She relaxes against her King's chest, finally releasing her death grip on his arm. If her nails digging into Peter's arm had hurt him, he was certainly gentlemanly enough to not say anything.