i. | E P I L O G U E (3)

The annual ball was in session. Nerissa stood on the sidelines, watching as big puffy dresses swayed across the dance floor.

Several months had passed, but it felt like it was just yesterday when she and Peter went on their first date. Their blossoming relationship had been kept under wraps since then as much of a pain it is to do so, but it's done mostly for professional purposes. However, as much as Nerissa doesn't want to admit it, a part of her had wanted it to be kept a secret, for the sake of Peter's reputation. After all, a King and a warrior have no business being together.

She watched as Peter twirled a beautiful young lady across the dance floor. As King, it was his duty to entertain some of their guests and of course, that included having to dance with some of them.

Soon, the music dies down and he parts with the girl with a polite bow. As if feeling Nerissa's eyes on him, his eyes snap towards her. It still amazes her how he could so effortlessly pick her out in a crowd.

Peter's face immediately brightens up, his lips curling up into a wide grin as he starts to make his way to her.

The crowd parts like the Red Sea for their King and as soon as he reaches her, he pulls her into his arms, pressing her close to him.

"Hey, you. I haven't seen you all day." Peter beams down at her, "I've missed you."

Nerissa attempts to wiggle out of his grasp, but it only makes him tighten his grip around her.

"What's wrong?" He frowns.

"Peter, people are looking." She mutters, suddenly incredibly aware of that there are at least a hundred pairs of eyes on them now.

"So?" He says, nuzzling into her neck, "Let them look."

Heat blooms across Nerissa's cheek as Peter brushes his lips against her thumping pulse in a fleeting kiss.

"Peter!"

The King finally stops, pulling back to look at his significant other in confusion.

Nerissa lets out a huff, grabbing onto Peter's hand and tugging him out of the ballroom and into the quiet hallway. She certainly didn't want an audience while they had this discussion.

"What is it?" The still completely clueless Peter questions asked Nerissa as she crosses her arms in front of her chest.

"Peter, do you really think it's appropriate for us to act so intimately in a room full of potential allies?"

Peter's frown only deepens at Nerissa's question, "Oh, so now it's inappropriate to kiss my girl in my own castle?"

"In front of hundreds of guests, yes." Nerissa replies, "I'm supposed to be guarding Narnia, not dating the King! Especially since said King is rightfully supposed to be dating Princess not some-"

"I don't want a Princess." Peter cuts her off mid-rant, his dead serious gaze burning into hers, "I'm perfectly happy with you. I don't need a Princess, I have you."

This is was a conversation they've had multiple times, but never in depth- thanks to Peter constantly shrugging it off with answers like these. As sweet as the words were, they still didn't help solve the bigger issue. Perhaps, it wasn't that big of an issue at all, but it still required a good chat about it. After all, 'communication is key', as they all say.