26.

September 1st, 1995.

It was our first day back at Hogwarts, we were greeted by Dumbledore and he introduced our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, a short plump lady in a gaudy pink dress suit.

She rudely interrupted professor Dumbledore while he gave his opening speech. I rolled my eyes not wanting to listen to her squeaky voice before I stood up and made my way to the door of the dining hall.

"Excuse me." She called after me causing me to turn around. "I don't believe you were excused from dinner so I am curious as to where you are going to?"

All the eyes in the dining hall were on me, Malfoy sat at Slytherin table a smirk on his face watching the exchange, the trio and twins watched me from Gryffindor table, looking back and forth between Umbridge and I.

"The annoying squeak of your voice is giving a migraine and making me extremely nauseous, I figured it's best I go to my dorm before I projectile vomit all over the great hall. I'm sure you wouldn't like that would you?"

Her eyes went wide at my answer before I turned around once more continuing to the dungeons. I walked into my room looking at the familiar surroundings, I smiled and went to unpack my trunk. A knock came at my door an hour or so later, I went to open it Malfoy stood on the other side.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"How was your summer?"

"Why do you care?"

"It's a question Evans, no need to get snippy."

"A question a friend asks, not someone I hate."

"You hate me?"

"Who doesn't Malfoy? You're an arrogant prick who's ego is larger than Hogwarts itself." I scoffed.

"I won't deny that." He chuckled.

"So what do you want?"

"I wanted to say you talking back to Umbridge was pretty badass." He shrugged.

"Okay."

He nodded and shifted on his feet his hands in his pockets.

"May I go back to unpacking now?"

"Yeah.. yeah sorry I'll see you around Evans." He nodded

I closed the door behind him and locked it before going back to unpacking my room. I changed out of my robes and into sweats and a hoodie before I walked out of my room and back into the hallways of school. I made my way towards the gryffindor common room hopeful I'd see someone I knew.

"Miss Evans?" The annoying squeaky voice spoke stopping me in my tracks, I turned around to face her.

"Professor." I nodded.

"I see you're out of uniform." She stated looking me up and down.

"And I see your fashion sense hasn't left the 50's."

"I will not be spoken to that way!" She shrieked.

"If I had it my way I wouldn't be speaking to you period." I mumbled turning around to continue walking, she stepped forward and grabbed my arm.

"You will not! Walk away from me." She glared her hand on my arm before I yanked it away.

"If you have something to say to me professor please say it, I have somewhere I am heading."

"I was stopping you to tell you that you have detention tomorrow evening." She smiled.

"And what for may I ask?"