45.

May 1998

The order was prepared for almost anything to happen, Tonks had a little boy, Bill and Fleur got married late last year and I celebrated my 18th birthday with Fred and George, Molly and Arthur sending a letter to wish me Happy Birthday.

The new school year arrived and I went back much to the distaste of the Weasleys, Ginny and I road the train together since the trio had been gone since bill and Fleurs wedding, they were finishing the task Dumbledore had gone on before he was killed. I hadn't spoken to Fred since I got back to school, Snape had taken over as headmaster and the whole entire atmosphere of Hogwarts changed.

It was dark, miserable and downright scary. Death eaters roamed the halls, taught classes and went out of their way to make any student who wasn't Slytherin or a pure blood miserable. First years took the butt of it all when they were given the position of test dummy for some curses that the older students were to perform.

"Miss Evans, it's your turn to practice the cruciatus curse." One of the Carrows spoke up from the front of the room, they were sitting in their chair with their legs kicked up on the desk twirling their wand in their hands.

"No thank you." I mumbled staying in my seat in the back of the room.

"I'm sorry, I don't believe I gave you the option to say yes or no. So get up here."

"I'm sorry I don't think you heard me correctly, I said no. I refuse to perform a curse on a 1st year for your sick and twisted amusement." I snapped. She scoffed and sat up before standing and walking over to me. I shifted in my seat leaning back against the desk behind me and yawned.

"Crucio." She mumbled flicking her wand, within seconds I had fell out of my chair and onto the floor curling up as I screamed, my insides felt like they were ripping me apart and I cried out.

"Stop it!" Neville yelled from across the room. "Leave her alone!"

"Longbottom if you aren't quiet you're next." The Carrow sister spoke.

She kept her wand pointed at me as my body continued to move and react to the curse she was performing. The pain continued for what felt like minutes before it subsided and she walked back to the front of the room.

Neville quickly ran over and helped me stand up grabbing my books, he snaked an arm around my waist and walked me out of the classroom without caring if he was going to get into trouble. He took me to Gryffindor tower knowing Slytherin was the last place I should be.

"Are you okay?" He asked helping me sit in a chair.

"Yeah. Just hate it here." I nodded. "I wish it was the way it should be Neville. Before everything went to absolute shit." I frowned.

He took a seat next to me and nudged my shoulder carefully. "I don't feel like it ever has been completely normal, but Voldemort has definitely caused a lot of ruckus these past years. It will all be okay." He nodded.

Students made their way back into the large room they shared, Ginny sat next to me noticing I was pale and winded.

"Are you okay?!" She asked quickly, I nodded and sighed.

"I was taught a lesson in class today since I refused to perform the cruciatus curse on a kid, just like Neville the other day."

"How is that allowed? It's illegal!" She scoffed.

"Unfortunately death eaters don't care about legalities." I looked around noticing Neville had disappeared and students gathered in groups chatting amongst themselves about experiences from classes as everyone waited for dinner.

"Assholes." Ginny mumbled in remarks to the teachers. "Here, go lay in my bed for a bit, you look exhausted."

"Thanks Ginny." I nodded and stood up slowly. "H-have you possibly heard from Harry? I figured no one has but if anyone would have it's you."

"Sadly no." She frowned and ran her hands through her hair.

"He's okay. I just know it." I nodded hugging her quickly before walking to her bed to lay down. I spent all my free time in here only sleeping in the Slytherin dorms at night. My eyes became heavy and I was asleep almost instantly.

                                    ***********

I woke up to the sound of gasps and cheers erupting from the room, a sound we hadn't heard in months. The sound of happiness.

I shot you and saw the secret passageway to Hogsmeade open, Neville standing up front with three figures behind him. I strained my eyes to see who was with him and they went wide as I saw three familiar faces appear.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were back.

"Harry!" A few people yelled from below climbed out of bed as they climbed down, Ginny ran over to hug Harry, Ron giving her a glare. I couldn't help but chuckle at that one. I pushed my way through the group of people and made my way to the front looking at the three, Hermione saw me and ran over wrapping me in her arms.

"You're okay?!" I whispered hugging her tightly.

"We are. We need to find something here though, here in the castle." She whispered as she hugged me tightly. We let go a few minutes later and I walked over to hug Ron. He took a moment to hug me back before I felt a hand appear on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Harry looking at me, his eyes were red.

"Indie?" He said quietly. I instantly wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly.

"Harry I missed you. Where the hell have you been that you guys couldn't have written?" I mumbled more to myself as he hugged me back.

"I'll explain in a minute." He nodded. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Me too Harry, me too." I nodded pulling back, he looked tired. All three of them did but the look on his face told me soon enough we all would be tired. Something bad was gonna happen.