CHAPTER 12

Jillian’s parents came to visit her again that evening, and they were extremely wet. They were laughing though.

“It is pouring rain out there,” her dad laughed, as water dripped on the floor from his clothes.

“I can see that,” Jillian grinned.

“I am sure there are towels around here somewhere.”

He nodded and started looking for towels in the bathroom as her mom pulled a bag out from under her jacket.

“I know how hospital food is,” she grinned, handing it over to Jillian. Inside was a hamburger and fries, and amazingly the bag was dry.

“Oh mom, you love me,” she grinned, pulling out a French fry. It was still warm.

Her mom smiled at Jillian as she was handed a towel to dry off.

“I can’t believe anyone would want to be out in this storm,” her father said, drying his hair with the towel, and then his pants.

“Why were you?” Jillian asked.

“Your mother insisted we go get you some food,” he said, looking at his wife.

“I saw the stuff they were serving you, and I know how much you love Jell-O,” she teased her daughter.

“You two are the best,” Jillian sighed, feeling much better with the food in her stomach.

They had been right, hospital food was nasty, and she hadn’t been given anything but clear stuff anyway.

Once her parents were as dry as they could get, and Jillian’s mom had put the towels over the shower in the bathroom, they came to sit down.

“Thanks, mom and dad for being here for me,” Jillian smiled.

“You are welcome dear,” her mother said.

“We’ve been so worried about you, how are you feeling?”

“Better mom, thanks.”

“You are looking better. I’ve been so worried about you,” she whispered, tears in her eyes.

“When they first brought you in, and the doctors were telling us what had happened, I was so scared we would lose you.”

“I was in a lot of pain,” Jillian admitted, “but the pain meds help,” she lied. She hadn’t been on anything since the first day she had been there.

“Have you been able to shower?” her mom asked her.

“Yes, the nurse came in earlier and helped me,” Jillian told her.

“Oh good. I know I always feel better after a nice warm bath or shower.”

“How long has it been raining?” Jillian asked. Her room had a window, but the blinds had been closed all day, and she hadn’t gotten up to open them.

“Since early this afternoon,” her father told her.

“It’s been coming down in torrents. I am sure there has been some flooding. I don’t think we have had this much rain in months.”

“I just hope it doesn’t wash out our dig,” her mother sighed.

“I hope the men covered the dig like I asked them to,” her father said.

The door opened then, and Edric walked in.

He looked extremely worried. “Edric?” Jillian frowned.

She knew he didn’t have good news.

Emerson and Warren walked in a moment later, they also looked worried.