CHAPTER 17

Jillian decided to go out to the studio and paint because the Alpha had work to do. She spent the rest of the day there, only coming in for dinner. The Alpha wasn't there, and she frowned, wondering where he was.

Carla walked in as Jillian sat at the table, picking at her food. She wasn’t hungry and wasn’t happy that Edric wasn’t there. He hadn’t told her he was going anywhere.

"Luna?" Carla asked.

Jillian looked at her. "Yes?"

"The Alpha wanted me to let you know he had to leave town for a few days. One of the packs is having problems with some rogues. He'll be back this weekend."

"Why didn't he take me with him?" Jillian
asked, “and why didn’t he tell me?”

"Something about you being pregnant," she whispered, “and he didn’t want you upset with him because he left you behind.”

Jillian frowned. "I am not a china doll Carla."

"I know Luna, but he wants you treated as one."

Jillian shook her head, rolling her eyes. "Okay, whatever." She stood up then.

"Aren't you going to eat Luna?"

"I'm not hungry," Jillian sighed and headed to her room.

She showered and then headed to bed. She was tired, and she was tired of being tired. She knew that the baby would be sapping more of her energy as it grew, and she was sure that was one reason why she was tired.

Just as she settled into sleep, the phone rang by the bedside. She picked it up.

“Hello?” she mumbled.

“My love, did I wake you?” Edric asked.

“I’m mad at you,” was her response.

“I am sorry love. I didn’t want to tell you I was leaving because you would have insisted on coming with me, and I have to help deal with some rogues in another pack, and I don’t want you hurt.”

“You could have at least told me all of that before you left,” she said.

“I know, I am sorry love. It’s a last minute thing.”

“Promise me you will be careful?"

" I don’t want you hurt, either.”

“Of course my love. You be careful also. Wes and Orson are there for you if you go to school tomorrow.”

“Okay, thank you.”

“I love you my Luna, sleep well, and I will call tomorrow. I am hoping that we can deal with this problem quickly so I can return home.”
She sighed.

“I love you, Jillian.”

“I love you.”

“I am doing this to keep us safe, okay?”

“I know.”

“Goodnight my love, have good dreams, okay?”

“I will try.”

“I love you,” he said again, and then hung up.

Jillian sighed and rolled over to Edric’s side of the bed, pulling his pillow to her, breathing in his scent. Good thing he cared for her so much and his people. He was a good Alpha.

The next morning she got up early, and dressed, then headed down the stairs, her backpack on. Orson was by the front door.

“School?” he asked her.