3 - masked

George thought about this for a moment. First of all- why was he at his moms? Dream could just be there for visiting, but he hadn't visited in awhile.

Nevertheless, of course he agreed to call.

As soon as George picked up, he pressed his phone to his ear and leaned back in his chair.

"Hi." Dream said.

George breathed for a second.

"George? You there?"

"What? Sorry, yeah I'm here."

A small chuckle echoed through his ear. "How are you?"

George licked his top lip, his eyes bringing him back to the window.

"Um, I'm okay I guess. Haven't thought about too much recently."

"Oh."

Maybe that was a lie. Maybe I should tell him about all the pain.

"So," he cleared his throat. "Why're you at your moms?"

"Eh. I haven't seen them since before-"

Dream cut himself off sharply, but George knew what he was going to say.

They hadn't talked about that, at all.

"Did you have a good time?"

Dream was quiet for a moment. "I did. Dad still isn't home but I'll be here still tomorrow and talk to him."

"That's good. That- that's nice."

"How about you?"

"What?"

"Your mom?"

George's eyes grew wide.

Please, can we talk about anything other than this.

"I haven't spoken to her."

The words flew out before he could stop himself. George knew he couldn't lie to Dream, and Dream knew his lying voice too well anyways.

"George-"

"I know, I promised. I'm going to talk to her but I have too much weight on my shoulders right now. I just- I just can't, Dream."

"So.. you aren't in contact with her at all?"

"I'm not in contact with anyone besides friends. My family is completely fucking shut out and I don't know how to let them back in. It's like things have only gotten worse."

Dream huffed.

"This is all up to you, George, okay? You'll know when the time is right."

He nodded as if Dream could see him. If only.

"Would you ever come back?"

The question surprised George. It was all of a sudden, and out of the blue.

How exactly would he answer?