5 - skin

"Alright, bye bye." Karl said right after both Quackity and Bad left the call.

"Audios." Sap replied.

"Bye, Karl." George says.

"Kawl." Sapnap imitated in a British accent.

"Bye!" Dream said finally, then the chime of Karl hanging up the call.

"Will you stop that?" George asked in a stern tone.

"Stop what?" Sapnap continued, again in a British accent.

"That!"

"My apologies, good sir!" Sapnap refused to stop.

"I'm gonna hang up." George threatened, his mouse hovering over the 'end' button.

"Who cares. I was leaving anyways."

He then hung up.

Now Dream and George were the last, alone.

Dream clumsily pulled his phone back out. George still hadn't opened the selfie.

He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Look at what I sent you."

"Why?"

"You asked me for a selfie, I gave you one for you to leave me on delivered?" Even though Dream was joking, George was concerned. He thought he was actually mad at him.

"Sorry everyone else was distracting me.." he mumbled.

"Really? I thought I was your only distraction."

"Well, you aren't."

"But I want to be."

A shiver shoots up Georges spine. The shivers feel the same as Dreams touch.

"Why?"

"I like the attention, I guess. Your attention."

Why is he being like this? Why right now? All of a sudden?

No words like this have been shared- at least recently.

He opens his phone slowly, hesitating to click back to Dreams contact.

Dream watches his phone screen in amusement as the letters, 'read' floated beneath the picture.

"C'mon, this barely shows your face. Is this the best you could do?"

"Nice try, but I'm not sending another one. You've gotten what you wanted."

"Dream I swear to god- you barely show your face on FaceTime this is the least you could do."

"Wow, George, you really like my face."

"I'm not denying that."

This is the weirdest flirting I think I've ever done. What the actual hell.

"You know, if you wanted to you could see it again. In real life." Dream tests, tapping his own thigh.

George drags his bottom lip between his teeth, sucking in a hitch of air at the same time.

I can't get attached.

"Dream, I haven't even spoken to my Mum yet and you're considering asking me to come back already?"

"...yeah."

"It's been a month. I've barely had any time to process what even happened."

"But you want it."

"Dont be selfish."

Dreams lips part as Patches approached his shin once again. She looks up at him desperately, a gloss in her eyes.

"Why can't we at least talk about it, George? You promised."

"Promises? Ha." He laughs, almost wickedly.

George shakes his head to himself. "Promises. We aren't five any more."

"What?"

"I said we aren't five anymore. You need it in another language?"

"Why're you being a dick, George?"

George knows he's in the wrong here, but can't seem to close his big mouth.

"I'm the dick? You won't even accept that I need time."

"How much fucking time will you need, then? To at least talk about this."

George presses his forehead against his desk. This conversation was feared. He had to avoid it, but now there wasn't an escape.

Technically hanging up the call was his escape, but he knew Dream would keep asking to talk about it.

"You specifically said last night on call you would come back. To Florida."

"Yeah, Dream, I fucking know! Just because I want to doesn't mean it has to be any time soon."

He can hear Dream quietly huff in frustration.

George has a sudden worry in his eyes as he watches the blank screen of his computers light.

Silence.

This is terrible. Maybe I'm terrible, George thinks to himself.

He thinks about hanging up until Dream speaks.

"The night before you left," he sighs, "towards the woods, on that stupid uncomfortable blanket under the fairy lights. Do you remember what song I played?"

Yeah. I still remember the soft hums.

George clears his throat. "Why are you bringing this up?"

"I don't know if you remember some lyrics, but I made them pretty specific. For you."

At this point George is clueless. What was he supposed to be thinking right now? What was he supposed to say?

"And- and in my room. You told me three words. Three words. I told you them back. I meant it. I- I meant it, George."

"You did.." George mumbled.

"Did you?" Dream was on the verge of tears.

Yes.

"I'm.. going to bed now."

Before Dream could wish him a good night, he hung up. This was a pattern. After deep conversations he felt like he made it nowhere. No progress, nothing more added on to his life that could be beneficial.

He's right. I'm selfish.

Dream clumsily fell out of his chair after deep thought, stumbling just next to Patches.

He groaned as she purred and curled up next to his bicep.

-

A/N

sorry about the short chapter, I'm gonna have tons more longer ones coming :)

words: 843