6 - growth

Charlotte peeked around the corner of the hallway, her eyes landing on her older brother slouched down on the couch in front of the tv.

"Clayyyyyy." She complained, entering the living room.

"What do you want now?" He muttered, annoyed with her.

She reached over to the coffee table where his bowl of popcorn sat and grabbed the remote.

"C'mon, give that back."

She refused, pulling her arm back and collapsing on the couch.

"Mom told you to watch me, not sit around like a loser all day."

"Watch doesn't mean hangout with." He teased back, snatching the remote from her hand and turning up the volume more.

Charlotte crossed her arms, furrowing her eyebrows in frustration.

"You turned twenty-one only a few months ago and now you don't know how to act."

"I know how to act like an adult."

Dream continued to turn the tv up, until it was at full volume. Patches flinched, jumping back.

"Look, you scared her." Charlotte says in a baby voice, scrambling off the couch and running in the direction towards the kitchen, where Patches settled in now.

She came back into the living room with Patches in her arms.

"One of the times you bring Patches over and you break her eardrums."

At this point, Dream had already turned the tv back down since his cat was clearly disturbed.

"I'm sorry, baby." He coos at Patches in a whisper as Charlotte sets her down in Dreams lap. He began stroking her fur back and forth.

"Tell me, Clay, why do you treat your kitty better than your sister?"

"She isn't as annoying, Drista." Dream jokes.
Patches curls up against Dreams stomach, her head slamming into his rather large hand.

After a moment if silence, Charlotte sits back down.

"You seem a little off today."

"Really?" He questions, still staring back down at purring Patches.

"Yeah.. did something happen?"

How does she know this shit?

"No," a voice crack effecting the complete lie.

Dream can tell Charlotte was trying her best not to laugh as she scooted closer and covered her mouth.

She sighs.

"Maybe if you don't want to open up to a fourteen year old, you can open up to Sapnap."

"If I had something going on I'd tell you."

She scoffs. "Really? I literally just found out the other day you had sex with a British boy over a month ago and confessed your love or whatever. But sure, you totally tell me everything as soon as it happens."

Dreams eyebrows shoot up as Charlotte smirks. "I never should've told you that," he groaned, burying his face into his hands.

"Trust me, mom was just as surprised."

"Look, Drista, when I feel like it's a good time to tell you I will. That's why I told you about.. that. It was a solid time."

Charlotte turned away and pretended to gag as he glared.

She then looked back at him and confidently wiped some hair out of her own face.

"No but it's actually kinda weird you guys did that and he dipped."

"It's not funny."

"Right, it's not funny." Her joyed expression quickly switched when she noticed Dream was distressed and awkward.

His face was still buried in his hands.

Charlotte comfortingly patted his back. "Am I supposed to be like.. comforting you right now?"

"No," he whispered, taking his hands away. "I know you aren't good at that."

She cracks a smile, playfully punching him in the arm which Dream laughs at.

"Well." He begins. "I did talk to George a little, but I don't think I'm ready to explain all that we talked about together yet. Are you okay with that?"

"Of course. And I was just joking. You are an adult and you don't need to share your entire personal life with mom and I. Or dad, although he doesn't know anything yet."

"Right. Speaking of- where even is he?"

She nervously shrugged. "I'm not exactly sure where he is now, but apparently he had to take a few days in busy travel."

Dream rubbed the back of his neck, glancing to Patches who was now laying in the floor beside his feet.

-

"Alright guys were headed for the haunted house!" Karl cheers, excitedly jogging with the camera in his hand. The view is pretty blurry, but George can see himself in the background.

He remembers the exact day Karl filmed this Vlog. The theme park. Everyone was so excited to be near each other- the group including Darryl, Karl, Sapnap, himself and Dream.

Dream.

It all came back and rounded up to Dream. Always, no matter what.

Maybe it's because Dream is always the right answer.

George stubbornly bites his bottom lip as he clicks away. He can't bare to hear any more of this past happiness.

The happiness could still be there if he had just tried to at least talk to Dream and communicate with him, but he missed his chance when he left that stupid discord call.

George's chair spun as he brings his knees to his chest and hugs them tightly.

This is my fault. I'm mean. So, so mean.

All day he had been debating on texting or calling- but couldn't bring himself too.

Something else had also been on his mind. A specific promise.

'We aren't five anymore,' George had said, shattering Dreams heart and his own. His own words had never hurt so bad.

We made a couple promises, George thinks to himself.

One, we try our best for each other. And two..

Oh god.

Does he want to do this? Is he ready? There's any easy answer for both questions; of course fucking not.

But does George need to do this? Of course. It's too late to lie to someone he genuinely cares for.

George's fingers begin to shake and tremble as he scoops his phone from his pocket.

He hesitates.

A few clicks.

One more click.

George's mother's phone number was now ringing.

-

A/N

this is one of my favorite chapters :] hope you liked it as much as I did! I enjoy writing conversations.

words: 1022