32 - stream hums

"Wh-" Dream stutters, nearly dropping his phone to clash with the hardwood kitchen floor.

"Mhm," Mr. Flores proudly states, "she said the two of you have quite the history."

A moment of silence passes.

"You," Dream breathed, "called me, to tell me mom has hired some assistant that I know to help work with her?"

"..yeah?" His father says, "I was thinking that since the two of you know each other, you could hang out for a bit. She's a very pretty girl."

Dream was catching on.

"You disgust me, really. You called me to tell me this after your shit apology, and now you're trying to get me to go on dates with some random girl I used to know? Some girl that wanted to date me-"

"No one is pressuring you into doing this. It's an offer."

"You're still offering knowing damn well I'm not even interested in girls. Knowing damn well me and George-"

He cut himself off.

Dream wanted so badly to drive down there and scream in his face, in person.

He wanted to punch him straight across the face, maybe leave a few bruises.

But he couldn't do that. He had self control.

All he could do in this moment was squeeze his knuckles until they turned red, and dig his nails into his hair.

"I..." his father didn't even know what was proper to say.

"You what? You're sorry?"

"Yes," Mr. Flores's voice became small.

Dream shook his head. He wanted to believe this was genuine, but how could he? After everything?

He's too nice. He's too forgiving. It's time to let people figure out shit on their own.

"You said I wouldn't be able to handle George leaving," Dream swallowed, "you were right. That's why both he and Nick aren't going anywhere."

"What do you mean?"

Dream unclenched his fist. So Charlotte hadn't told his parents yet?

"They're leaving, they're preparing to come back, they're officially coming back and their staying. They're moving here, dad. You can stop trying to separate me from people I care about."

His father was dead silent. His little Annie scheme was not going to work in the slightest.

"I understand."

"Good. And why did you call me on Charlottes phone?"

"I knew you weren't going to answer if I personally called you on my phone.."

"Don't you think that's sad? Do you think that's upsetting?"

"..yes."

"You know what else is upsetting? Being neglected. Being told that someone I love isn't accepted with open arms. When the hell are you going to get it? You aren't the victim here!"

Dream can feel the veins in his hands slowly rise and fall down again when he releases the long breath he'd been holding.

"You aren't," Dream repeated but more quietly, "the victim here."

The silence was terrible. Awkward, angry, sad and just so, so terrible.

A few months ago, Dream never would've expected to have this type of relationship with his father. Ever.