37 - last separation

Dreams eyes slowly flutter open to the glow.

"Are you awake?" George softly whispers.

Dream observes George's close features through the facetiming. He smiles gently when he sees his messy hair, his light brown freckles and face of exhaustion.

"I am now," he answers, "why aren't you asleep?"

"I wanted to make sure that you would fall asleep first. I also wanted to be awake in case you had any nightmares."

Dream watches as the brunette pulls his blankets up to his mouth and sinks into the bedsheets.

Dream wishes George could be here now, between his own sheets. Head laying against his chest, their hearts racing heavily as a variety of thoughts would swarm their minds.

"You.. don't have to do that every single night, pretty." Dream soothes with his favorite nickname, his eyes still half open from waking up.

"I know.." George mumbles.

A pause of silence passed.

"Dream?" George muttered, his voice falling low.

"Yes?" Dream returned the same tone, speaking quietly to not disturb the others eardrums.

"I can't sleep."

"You should try."

"But I cant."

Patches emerges from the darkness of the corner of the room, and hops onto Dreams bed with a gentle swift.

She slowly approaches, her head hanging low. She curls up right beside Dreams waist, and begins to purr when he scratches behind her ears.

"Baby." Dream whispers to his small cat curled right beside him.

"What?" George mutters from the other end.

Dreams eyes freeze, and he slowly turns his head. "I was talking to Patches."

He can see the blush forming on the brunettes face, and he lightly chuckles in awe.

"George, if you wanted me to call you that you could've just asked."

"That's stupid. Ask to call me a nickname? How dumb."

"Not dumb," Dream glides his hand along the soft fur again and repeats, "not dumb."

"So what? You're going to call me that from now on?" George's voice has a sudden spring of excitement.

"If you want me to," Dream answers, looking back to his screen.

The blanket is now half way up George's face, but it's obvious a small closed lip smile hides beneath it.

"Okay," George decides to respond, dropping his phone down onto the blanket to be out of camera view.

"Come backkkk," Dream complains, "I want to see you."

He can hear George scoff, and he cracks a smile.

After a moment, George's head is brought back into camera view.

"Can I ask you something?" George says as Dream is admiring his perfect face.

Patches crawls further up, and plops her small body down next to Dreams neck.

"Anything," Dream simply tells him, sinking further into the comforting mattress as he dreads sleeping.

"Um, it might sound kind of weird."

"Just go for it."

"Alright," George says then yawns, "it's about last visit, and it's totally fine if you don't want to talk about it-"