15 - candy land

George tapped his chin, glancing from Dream to Sapnap. Sapnap had unnecessary sweat running down his neck, nervous out of his mind. Dream was just annoyed. His arms were crossed as he leaned back against the couch, him being so tall that his knees hit the top of the coffee table.

A smirk grew onto George's face as he leaned down and slowly moved his game piece four spaces.

"Shit! That's not fair," Sapnap insisted, suddenly mad and messing up the cards.

"How is it not fair? I didn't even cheat this time," George explained, now looking at Dream.

"It's not fair because you keep getting the red square cards. The red squares are always closer to the finish," Sapnap returned, gesturing a hand out with the other across his chest.

"It's fucking Candy Land. You guys are such try hards at board games." Dream said, his arms becoming uncrossed as Patches approached him.

"And I'm pretty sure you just made up the whole 'red squares are the most common' thing." George added, picking the cards off the floor that Sapnap brushed off.

The oven beeped, preheated.

Dream was forced to push Patches to the side and get up off the living room carpet. "The brownies are ready to go in."

Sapnap peeked his head around Dream to look in the kitchen. "Yup, sure is. Shoo." He waved his hand in front of Dreams face.

Dream glared, then trudged into the kitchen to open up the oven and place the small pan of sweet brownie mix in.

He then clapped his hands together as Sapnap and George began arguing about something.

His palms clashed against the counter top, his teeth clawing at the inside of his cheek and eyes dancing around the entire kitchen.

All night he had been fighting to urge to try and talk to George one on one— to talk to George about anything that's happened.

Maybe it was time for acceptance. Acceptance in which whatever was there, was over. For good.

Everything seemed normal now. George had only been in Florida for two days and nothing was brought up. Nothing. Dream didn't know whether he should've felt angry or satisfied.

Maybe both.

Something told Dream that this was good. Something told him this is what George wants. Something told him that maybe this is what he wants himself, too.

"How long does is take to put some brownies in the oven?" George's voice came out of nowhere.

Dream smiled, and glanced behind George but Sapnap wasn't following him in.

Stress hit Dream like a truck.

He knew how awkward he was around George by himself.

"Uh, I don't know. I guess I was just thinking." He rubbed the back of his neck as George walked up to the counter beside Dream.

"What're you thinking about?" George bent over to look inside the closed oven.

Why did you have to ask that?

Before Dream could even think, he blurted, "you." And nervously laughed.

George nervously laughed along with him, looking back into the oven to avoid eye contact. He ran a hand through his hair, standing still.

"You're thinking about the ultimate winner of candy land, huh?" George raised an eyebrow after asking.

"No, I'm thinking about the ultimate cheater."