Chapter 14: Not a damsel in distress

Maya's pov:

"Are you going to tell me or..?" He grilled.

"I have done business with many mafia men, so sometimes I've had to experience these" I replied.

One thing Mafia life has taught me is lying effortlessly. No twitching of the eye, fidgeting of fingers or increased heartbeats. When you are in the Mafia, this is a very important thing you're taught. Put on a poker face and lie.

"Do you know how to use a gun bellissima?"

He finished bandaging my wound and boxed up the safety kit.

"Of course, I do. I was taught everything I was needed to, to protect myself. Successful businesses come with enemies. You'd know that."

"Which gun do you use?" he asked.

"CZ P-1OS, sometimes a Glock. It's not really a single one." I replied.

His mouth hung open.

"Close you damn mouth before a fly goes in." I laughed.

We both looked at each other for a while and didn't move for at least a hot minute. We unconsciously leaned towards each other until our noses touched. Neither of us uttered a word. Absolute silence.

"Uhh I should umm get going." I snapped back into reality.

I frantically walked away and went to my room to sleep my way through what just happened.

The next day, me and Xalio didn't speak much. He was out most of the morning and I avoided him when he was back.

"What happened last night between you two?" Ryder whispered from behind.

"Don't sneak up on me like that, man!" I yelled.

"Tell me THE JUICY DETAILS!" he demanded.

Him and Noah reminded me so much of Raven and Alucard. They annoyed me the same way those two used to. I missed them so much, it hurt.

"Nothing happened Dumbo." I laughed.

"Did you jut call me Dumbo?" Ryder grimaced.

"Yes, I certainly did." I giggled.

"Okay, ignoring that, why the hell is there so much tension between y'all then?" Ryder raised his eyebrows.

"I don't know! my god!" I walked away.

"Yeah just walk away Maya!" Ryder yelled.

"Fuck off Ry!" I flipped him off.

In the evening, I get a call from Alucard.

"Maya, there's a problem." Alucard said.

"One of the men of the Serpents was spotted in one of Xalio's clubs. You need to finish him." he went on.

"It's too risky Al. What if Xalio or his men spot me?" I asked.

"Tell them he was trying to take advantage of you. You don't have a choice, you have to kill him." He informed.

"Alright." I gulped.

"Be safe May-May."

"I will."

I got dressed and loaded my gun. For the first time I felt anxious about killing someone.

I left for the club but I had a bad feeling about it.

Xalio's pov:

I saw her leave and this time I followed her. I know it was wrong but I had a feeling I had to. She looked worried and walked out so quickly that I couldn't even ask her where she was headed to.