Chapter 33: Fear, guilt and anger

Maya's pov:

I quickly called Alucard and held on to Xalio. "Alucard, bring the team to the hospital quick! Xalio's been shot! I'm taking him there right now." I sniffled.

"Oh fuck, We're coming right now!" he hung up in a hurry.

"Xalio, Xalio c'mon, don't close your eyes. Look at me!" I pressed on the wound to stop the blood flow as the back of his head fell on my lap. "Amore, open your eyes." "OPEN YOUR EYES FOR GOD'S SAKE!"

He opened his eyes slowly on my command.

"Good." I sighed. "No matter what you do, do not shut your eyes, you hear me?" I helped him stand up and walked him to the car. It was a little difficult but I did it.

"I buckled him up and drove off to the hospital.

 "Bellissima..." he murmured. His eyes were unable to keep themselves open.

"Amore, keep talking okay.. say whatever but just talk." I drove as quickly as I could.

"I don't know if I'll be able to say this later but you've made me the happiest I've ever been Maya." smiled Xalio as his eyes stayed fixated on me.

"Don't say that damn it! I'll not let anything happen to you!"

"Thank you for whatever you did for me Maya." he muttered.

I pulled over in front of the hospital and he was rushed in by the nurses into the emergency room.

Soon the entire team came in and the operation room bulb turned bright red. Everyone was praying, worrying and comforting each other.

Everyone kept telling me to keep it together and to be strong and what not. My ears went numb to their sounds.
All I could hear was "I don't know if I'll be able to say this later but you've made me the happiest I've ever been Maya." "I don't know if I'll be able to say this later but you've made me the happiest I've ever been Maya." "I don't know if I'll be able to say this later but you've made me the happiest I've ever been Maya." These words kept on repeating and I felt dizzy.

When I was on that very bed, Xalio didn't lose hope. I know what he must've been feeling then. Fear, guilt and anger.

Dr. Ava came out of the emergency room after almost three hours of surgery.

"Dr., Is he okay?" "Say something, is he okay?!" "How's he?"

Questions filled the room.

"He's in a coma." she replied as her face fell.

No no no no... this can't be happening right now. Everyone gasped, their eyes filled up with tears. They fought their tears back but couldn't for long.

"Love can't exist without fear.
If the thought of losing someone
doesn't scare the shit out of you,
then it's not love."

Xalio taught me to feel in ways I had long forgotten. I've lost far too many people in my life and I really don't want to relive those moments.

All those times, I claimed myself guilty. I kept telling myself that I failed to protect them.
*scoffs* Maya Lion, the most feared assassin and mob boss. I had people fear me so that I wouldn't have to fear them. I made myself powerful so that others couldn't be. But today all of thay is useless. My money, my power. Everything.

Once I figure out who did this to Xalio. I'll turn the fucking world upside down to find them.

[At Scar's penthouse]

"Boss, the plan was successful but just one problem."

"What?" Asked Scar.

"Maya shot Brett and till the time I ran to him, he was already dead."

"Arghhhh!" Scar raged.

"Boss, she might figure out it was you."

"I know damn it! We need a new plan." Scar sighed in anger.

Maya's pov:

"Al and Rav come with me to the place where I shot the guy, let's see if we can figure out who did this." I spun my car keys on my index finger.

"Keep updating me on Xalio." I patted Ryder's back and left right after he gave me a nod.

After a while, we reached the location and inspected the body. Wow sounds like we're some FBI agents. Ironic.

As I looked at his arms, I spotted a tattoo. Mostly all the gangs had a signature tattoo which distinguished them.

 "Rav! look!" I called.

"Shit! He's one of Scar's men." he gasped, pointing at the S tattoo with a zig zag line over it.

"Scar knows about me and Xalio." I looked at Raven in shock. "He wants revenge."

After the body was taken care of, we went back to the hospital. I went into the room where Xalio was kept. He was just laying there, silent and pale. His hands felt cold and he looked lifeless.

"I'm so sorry Xalio. It's all my fault. Scar hurt you because he wanted revenge on me. I couldn't protect you amore, I'm so sorry." I chanted as I held his hands.

"It's not your fault May-May." Noah walked in. "You couldn't have done anything, you didn't know. What you'refeeling is natural but please don't blame yourself anymore."

"Noah's right Maya." Riley walked in and held my hand. "It wasn't your fault."

I just stood there, taking it all in as they hugged me. Jacob and Elijah walked in right after.

"Oh good thing you guys are here, listen, Jake, Scar's behind this. I need you and El to find out where he is as soon as possible." I pulled back from the hug.

"That son of a bitch is back?!" Jacob raged. "Don't worry Maya, we'll find him."

"I know you will, now get started quick! I'll stay the night here." I commanded.

"But Maya-" Riley cut in.

"No buts Riles. He stayed with me for so many weeks. It's my turn now."

"He'll be alright Maya." Noah gave me one last reassurance and left along with the others.

"Xalio, please don't leave me. I've never asked you for anything but now I'm asking for something and you can't say no. Please come back to me. Open your goddamn eyes!"

_________________________________________

"Everyone is afraid of something. We fear things because we value them. We fear losing people because we love them. We fear dying because we value being alive. Don't wish you didn't fear anything. All that would mean is that you didn't feel anything."

-- Cassandra Claire

_________________________________________

To be continued...

I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! Will Xalio wake up? What's Scar gonna do next? What do you think will happen next? Keep reading to find out ;) ILYSM xx