2 - Pain

"Good morning, everyone." A man that looks old enough to be my father steps his things down on the teacher's desk. I boredly look up from my notebook covered in random doodles. "My name is Mr. Yukimura. I'll be taking over for your previous history teacher." He walks around the desk to stand in front of it. "My family and I moved here three weeks ago. I'm sure, bt now, you all know my daughter, Kira. Or you might not since she's never actually mentioned anyone from school. Or brought a friend home for that matter."

        A loud slamming noise coming from the back of the classroom has me jumping in my seat. I swivel around in my desk, along with everyone else, to see a dark haired girl slumped over on her desk, hiding her face from everyone. Scott's hand finds a spot on my back after he saw me jump in surprise. 

        "Either way, there she is." Mr. Yukimura continues on. 

        Some students snicker in laughter at the poor girl's embarrassment. Kira lifts her head up slowly and awkwardly smiles when she sees everyone staring at her. Scott spins back around in his seat, eyes resting on me. His hand slides from my back to my arm, where he slowly trails his fingers on the back of it. The corners of my lips tug up in a smile as I turn back around to face the front of the classroom. 

        "Now, let's begin with American History at the turn of the twentieth century." Mr. Yukimura starts back up again. 

           "Maybe we need a little more time to get back to normal." Scott absentmindly suggests as we stand by Stiles' locker.        

        Stiles twirls the lock around to the right numbers. "Yeah, try not to forget we hit the reset button on a supernatural beacon for supernatural creatures. There's a pretty good chance things are never going back to normal."

        I nudge Stiles in the side with my elbow. "And, the whole optimistic thing is really helping us get back to normal." I say with as much sarcasm as I can muster to match Stiles' tone. "Can we just try to forget about the whole thing. I'd appreciate it if everything went back to how it was before the whole sacrifice thing."

        Scott nods. "Yeah."

        Stiles yanks on the lock, aggravated.    

        "I just-" I stop talking when I see Kira and her father stop in the middle of the hallway about ten feet away from us. 

        "I thought you said you wanted to make friends." Mr. Yukimura asks his daughter.

        "Not like that."  Kira replies, looking around the hallway, like she's afraid someone will overhear. Although, I am eavesdropping on their conversation. 

        "You said you wanted to be noticed."

        "I could set myself on fire and be noticed."

        "Well, then you'd be dead."

        "Exactly." Kira deadpans.

        Kira spins away from her father, her eyes landing on the three of us. However, her gaze is mostly locked on Scott. I frown. I tilt my head up to see Scott looking back down at me, but he looks a little ill.

        I grab Scott's arm, worriedly. "Scott, you okay?"

        A dizzy spell hits Scott and he leans against the lockers. He exhales out of his mouth slowly. I look back over my shoulder to see Kira still watching us. 

        "Scott?" I grab his face in my hands, forcing him to look me in the eyes. Why the sudden change in his mood? Bright red eyes stare down at me. "Scott-"