19 - Ringtone

The soft, grey sweater is pulled on over my head and my fingers tug on the material to bring it all the way down. I run my fingers through my hair a few times to get out the small tangles. I place my toothbrush back by the blue one and the toothpaste. I spin around, carefully listening to everyone else in the house. Mrs. McCall is taking another night shift. Isaac is in his bedroom, making room for me to crash with him. Scott is in his own room.

I grab the bathroom doorknob in my hand and slowly twist it open. I open the door and sneak through a small crack to begin creeping down the hallway to Isaac's room. I could easily sleep in my own bedroom, but with it being so close to Scott's, I declared that I was sleeping in Isaac's room and because I've dearly missed my brother. 

I tiptoe down the hallway nearly to Isaac's bedroom. At the end of the hallway, Scott steps out of his bedroom and our eyes instantly lock on each other's. My eyes widen and I feel my heartbeat speed faster. The exact same thing happens to Scott. The two of us awkwardly keep walking in the directions we were heading, which just happens to make us move closer to each other. 

My eyes dart to the cream colored carpet as we start to pass by each other. My heartbeat echoes in my ears when Scott's hand darts out to wrap around my wrist. I suck in a breath, surprised by his actions. 

"Can we talk?" Scott asks in a low voice.

I press my lips together before meeting his gaze. "What's there to talk about?"

"Us." 

"There's no use anymore, Scott." I sigh. 

Scott's hand slides down to my hand. "But, there still can be."

I pull my hand away from him before he can intertwine our fingers. "No, there can't be. Not when it's obvious that you have some kind of feelings for Kira. I don't know what it is or how long it will last for, but I do know that while that feeling is still there, I won't be." I cross my arms over my chest. "I'm tired of being treated like I'm not good enough. The worst part is that you didn't even realize. You didn't stop her and- I see the way you act around her."

"She's just a friend." 

I shake my head. "Scott...You're beginning to look at her the way you used to look at me. I know you still love me. I can see it in your eyes, but I can't be in your life if you feel something towards her. I can't put myself through that. I won't put myself through that. And I'm not going to wait around for you to decide what you want." 

Without another word, I spin on my heel and march into Isaac's bedroom. I reach out to shut the door until Isaac rushes past me in a blur. My head whips around to follow his figure moving down the hallway towards Scott. Isaac draws back a fist and punches Scott square in the face. 

"Isaac!" I gasp in shock. 

Scott tumbles back against the wall from the force of the punch. He raises a hand to cup his cheek and stare at Isaac in surprise. Isaac doesn't waste a second in punching Scott for the second time. The second punch catches Scott by surprise and he falls back into the wall. 

Isaac places one hand on Scott's neck and forces him against the wall. 

I surge forward a few feet. "Isaac!"

Isaac ignores me as he pressed Scott against the wall with more force, yet he doesn't cut off his air supply. "You hurt my sister?" He questions in a low and threatening voice. Honestly, I have never heard Isaac sound this angry, not even with dad. "Answer."

"She broke up with me." Scott chokes out.

Isaac shakes his head. "No, that's not what I asked. Did you hurt Chloe?"