3- Ajar

I dunk another carrot stick in the pool of ranch on my plate. I frown when I only have a few left. With Scott paying attention to what Stiles is saying, I snatch his small bag of carrots he had absentmindly grabbed while in line. He won't miss them. Besides, I'm really hungry. I tear into the plastic bag, beginning to fall back in the coversation happening at our lunch table. 

        Turns out, Scott and Stiles aren't alone when it comes to these scary hallucinations that they have been having. Allison has been going through the same thing. All of hers have to do with her dead Aunt Kate. We all knew things would be different after the whole sacrifice thing went down. Deaton said there would always be a dark spot in their minds. 

        "Okay, so what happens to a person who has a near-death experience and comes out of it seeing things?" Scott plays with the pencil in his hands. 

        "And is unable to tell what's real or not?" Stiles pipes in with his notebook grasped in his hand.

        "And is being haunted by demonic visions of dead relatives?" Allison holds her fingers near her mouth. 

        Isaac's head snaps up, quickly joining the conversation. "They're all locked up because they're insane." 

        I remove the carrot I was about to bite into and toss it at my brother from across the table. It bounces off his cheek and falls into his lap. Isaac raises an eyebrow at me in a questioning manner. He picks the carrot up before biting into it.

        Stiles narrows his eyes at my brother. "Ha. Can you at least try to be helpful, please?"

        Isaac leans forward on the table. "For half of my childhood, I was locked in a freezer. So, being helpful is kind of a new thing for me." 

        I hear a quiet groan come from Scott on my left side. His forehead is resting on his arms. I rub his back with my free hand. We're never going to be able to talk about this with all of these side conversations. Lydia gives me an annoyed look, her eyes darting between my best friend and brother. 

        "Hey, dude, are you still milking that?" Stiles rests his hand on top of the table. 

        "Yeah, maybe I am still milking that." Isaac retorts. 

        Stiles motions to me with his hand. "You aren't the only one that was locked in a freezer." I rest my head on Scott's shoulder. Why did I have to be dragged into this? "Chloe was there, too. Okay? I've heard some of the stories when she was telling Scott." Stiles glances at me with a somewhat sorry expression. "I eavesdrop a lot." He turns back to Isaac. "If she can be nicer and helpful, I'm sure you can, too."

        I throw my hands out between the two of them. "Can you guys just stop?" 

        Isaac drops his pen to the table, eyes slitted. Stiles leans backwards, rolling his own eyes. These two are ridiculous. I'd hate to imagine how Isaac would react if I had dated Stiles instead of Scott. My nose automatically wrinkles at the thought of that. Isaac will never have to worry about that. 

        "Hi." 

        All of our heads turn in the direction of the end of the table, where the unfamiliar voice came from. Even Scott lifted his head up from the table. Kira, the same girl who was embarrassed by her father in history class, is standing at the end of the table, closest to Stiles and Lydia. She appears to be a little awkward as she smiles at all of us. 

        "Hi, sorry." Kira shifts on her feet a little bit. Her gaze wanders over all six of us, lasting a little longer on Scott once again. "I couldn't help overhearing what you guys were talking about, and I think I actually might know what you're talking about. There's a Tibetan word for it. It's called "Bardo." It literally means "in-between state." The state between life and death."