37 - Betrayal

"How could you?!" Lydia screams at me from across the hallway. Her eyes glaze over with tears while her voice rises higher and higher. 

I flinch back at her harsh tone. "Lydia, please-"

"No!" She shouts back, angrily. "How could you just betray everyone? Betray Scott? We're your friends, Chloe!" Her finger aggressively points to the other side of the hallway. 

Void Stiles has been watching us from afar this whole time, enjoying the fact that we are fighting. This is just more chaos for him to absorb. 

"I don't even know who you are anymore." Lydia whisper, hurt laced in her voice. 

I bite down on my lip and hold my head up high. "That's not my problem." I force my voice to sound cold and hard. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done. All I can hope is that she forgives me when all of this is over. When I kill the Nogistune.

Void Stiles slow claps and moves towards us. "Well, well. That was quite the fight." He lowly chuckles with his famous smirk. "But, lets save all your energy for when they get here." He strokes my cheek with a devious smile. 

Lydia glances back and forth between us with the most disgusted look on her face. She studies his face with a look of realization. "You're nervous, aren't you? You know they're coming. You know they're going to kill you."

A low chuckles comes from the base of his throat. With one hand wrapped around my waist, he grabs onto Lydia with his other hand, tightly. "Well, that's exactly why I'm keeping you two so close." With a key, he unlocks the wrought iron gate and shoves both of us inside. 

My head snaps upwards at the all too familiar sound of Stiles' jeep shutting off. Eyes widening, I gaze up at the ceiling. They're here. They found us. I press one hand against the wall, concentrating on blocking everything out except for my friends' voices. My hearing has improved by so much. I can probably hear them if I concentrate hard enough.

Void Stiles keeps his arm wrapped around me while closing the gate behind  the three of us. 

"We've done this before, guys." Scott's voice trickles in my ears. A wave of relief floods throughout my body just at the sound of his voice. "A couple of weeks ago, we were standing around just like this and we saved Malia, remember? That was a total stranger. This is Chloe and Lydia." 

"I'm here to save my best friend." Allison adds. 

"I came to save my girl- Chloe and my best friend." Scott catches himself from saying that I'm his girlfriend still. 

"I'm here for my sister." 

My heart breaks in two at the sound of my brother's voice. I didn't even think of how all of this would affect him. How did he even find out that Void Stiles took me? Who had to be the one to deliver the bad news to Isaac? 

Lydia's head lifts up with a knowing smirk. "They're here. And I don't need to scream to know that they're going to kill you." 

"Good because that's exactly why I brought you." Void Stiles takes a small step back away from Lydia, yet keeps me close to his side. His hand reaches into his pocket for a short, black object. "I needed to know when they'd be close enough, when my own death was closing in."

A odd, growling noise fills the small, circular room. Lydia and I whip our heads around to see five Oni join the room, like they were summoned. I nervously swallow and slyly grab Lydia's wrist in my hand. The two of us move out of the way, pressing our backs flat against a wall that the Oni are not near. 

At once, the Oni draw out their swords and aim them at Void Stiles. I did not plan on this happening. 

Void Stiles winks at me. He grips the black object in his hands, patiently waiting for the Oni to draw closer to him with their katanas. "'Cause only when they're close, can I do this..." He snaps the object in half. He storms forward, wrapping his slender fingers around my wrist.

In the blink of an eye, the room that we were just in changes to outside of the building. I'm standing beside Void Stiles with the Oni behind us. The sky is dark with only the moon providing light upon us. Words get stuck in my throat when I see who is in front of us. How did we get out here?

Kira, Allison, and Isaac stand with their backs to us, too absorbed in the fact that a firefly just vanished in Mrs. Yukimura's hand to realize that we were right behind them.

"Mom? What is that?" Kira questions her mother.

The grip on my wrist slides up to wrap around my waist. 

"What does that mean?" Isaac demands.

"It means, there's been a change in ownership." Void Stiles speaks up to announce our arrival. 

My friends spin around, eyes widening in shock when they see the Oni behind us and the fact that I am standing right beside our enemy. Everyone's mouths part in shock, like they are having a hard time believing that I joined the wrong side. 

"Chloe?" Isaac breathes.

I hold my head high, continuing to play the part. "Now, they belong to us." 

Before anyone can muster another word, the Oni surge forward to begin fighting against my friends. I swallow the urge to join my friends' side and make sure no one gets hurt. The hurt shining on their faces makes me want to run up to them and admit that I'm just playing the Nogistune. That I'm doing all of this until the right moment appears for me to kill him. 

I'm dragged away from the fight to duck down behind pieces of scrap metal. My eyes dart all across the front of the building, desperately. Where's Scott and Stiles? Are they even here? Two Oni tag team my brother and tears fall down my cheeks when they get in position to kill him. Screw this. I make a move to jump up and dive in front of my brother, but an arrow soars through the air before I can even stand. 

The arrow penetrates right into the Oni's chest. Instead of flying out of him, the arrowhead remains intact. How did she do that? The Oni bursts into green light and disappears into a cloud of black mist. Lydia's scream from the basement pierces my ears as another Oni stabs Allison in the chest. My hands fly to my mouth as I scream along with her. This wasn't supposed to happen. 

Before I can run towards my friend, Void Stiles' hands lock around my wrist and forces me to run in the opposite direction. Pain stabs my heart as I realize that I could have prevented this. I could have saved her. My feet carry me in the direction that Void Stiles leads me. My head whips around just in time to see Isaac catch Allison before she can fall to the ground. 

If I had killed Void Stiles already, Allison would still be alive. I turn my head back around, no longer struggling against Void Stiles. There's no way I can return back to everyone without them hating me. I could have prevented all of this. 

I glare at the back of Void Stiles' head as we race away from the internment camp. He's the reason Allison is dead. 

Allison, I will avenge you. I can promise you that.

XXXXX

Guys, this story is almost over. How crazy is that?! There's one episode left! 

I considered having Chloe be reunited with her friends the same time that Lydia was, but I thought it would be more interesting to have Chloe be dragged away with Void Stiles. He plans on taking over the world with her, so he has to keep her by his side at all times. 

Chloe is quite vengeful now that Allison died. She wants nothing more than to really kill the Nogistune. She was vengeful before, but even more now. She thinks that everyone is going to hate her for making them believe that she has been on the Nogistune's side this whole time. Don't forget. She's doing all of this to protect her friends.

Chloe has come a long way since the first book.

Question: What do you think will happen in the next chapter? What do you want to happen?

So, yeah!