17 - Eyes

"You guys don't have to follow me everywhere. I'm fine." I call to the twins over my shoulder as I walk up the sidewalk to the front doors of the school. They insisted that they give me a ride to school after I told them last night that Scott and I broke up. 

Aiden quickly falls into step with me. His arm wraps around my shoulder with a small smile on his face. "We know you're fine because we're with you now." 

"So, what? You're my protectors now?" I glance between him and Ethan, who appears on my other side. 

Ethan shakes his head. "No, we're your betas." 

I huff in confusion. "But, I'm not an alpha." 

"You're becoming one." 

"Not a true one because..." I stop myself before I can finish that sentence. A memory from a few months ago reappears in my mind. I stop walking, completely overcomed by the memory. "Oh my god."

Ethan and Aiden walk a few paces ahead of me before stopping. They both frown at me, confused. "What?"

I stare down at the ground, fear and shock overpowering me. Deucalion made me take my first kill to become a true hybrid alpha. He knew I would be stronger than any other alpha. I would have to kill two people in order for the transformation to happen. 

I reach out to grab both of their arms before speeding towards the front of the school. I race up the stairs and burst through the double doors, dragging the twins with me. I drag the two of them in the closest empty classroom and quickly lock the door before I spin around to face the two confused boys. 

"What color are my eyes?" I rush to say.

Aiden's eyebrows furrow together at the demand. "What?"

I shake my hands in the air. "What color are my eyes?" I repeat again. I shut my eyes for a split second to allow my inner hybrid to appear. I flick my eyes open to stare at Ethan and Aiden. "What color?"

"Red." Ethan's mouth falls open. 

I nervously swallow before beginning to pace the empty classroom. My right hand finds its way through my wavy hair as I push it out of my face. My chest constricts from the lack of air that I'm suddenly having a very hard time breathing in. Aiden is quick to rush to my side and wrap his arms around me to keep me stable as I clutch at my heart. 

"They- They didn't flash blue?" I peer up at him, attempting to catch my breath.

"No. They are still red." Aiden answers.

I grasp onto his shirt underneath his leather jacket. "Remember how Deucalion said that in order to become a true hybrid alpha, I would have to kill two people. He made me kill one, but..." I sharply inhale when my lungs begin to burn. Air is moving in and out of my lungs, but it feels like I'm being drained of air. 

Aiden's hold on me becomes more secure when my knees gives out on me. "Chloe, what is it?"

Words flow out of my mouth in incoherent bursts. "- sacrifices..." I manage to utter. I loop my arm around Aiden's neck. "Back when Jennifer was taking sacrifices and Scott, Stiles, and Allison sacrificed themselves- I killed Scott."

Ethan and Aiden share a sharp look. 

My hands were the ones to hold Scott down under the water in the tub. I had been the one to drown him. I killed him that night, but I also brought him back to life. To become a true hybrid alpha, one must kill a human and an alpha werewolf. I did that. 

"That's why you got stronger and we felt linked to you. You were already an alpha, but didn't realize it yet. That's probably why your eyes never changed colors fully. You didn't know that you were an alpha, but now-"