30 - Chess

"Are you okay?" Allison nods her head at me as we walk down the hallway to Stiles' bedroom. 

I take a deep breath, feeling very on edge with everything. So much has happened since Stiles went into Eichen House. Only a day and a half had passed before we found out that Void Stiles took over again and escaped Eichen. I was partially mad at myself for not being able to stop the Nogistune from sneaking back into Stiles' mind. I told him I'd be there if he needed me. 

Now, we're on a wild goose chase trying to find out where Void Stiles went before anymore people die because of him. 

"I'm okay." I whisper to Allison, not wanting to gain any attention on me.

She watches her dad, Derek, and Mr. Stilinski step inside of Stiles' bedroom with us not too far behind. "You're a good liar, Chloe, but I can still tell that you are not okay."

I press my lips together. "Everything from Scott to being an Alpha to losing my best friend. I think you can understand why I'm not okay right now." I tell her before walking into the bedroom. 

Mr. Stilinski had cameras put up in his house after the whole Nogistune thing. The good new is that he saw a live feed of Void Stiles in this bedroom. He wanted us to come here. Why? I'm not sure. I just know that I will do anything to have my best friend back.

Argent walks up to a chess board with tiny sticky notes pressed to the top of them. He points at the game with a question directed towards Mr. Stilinski, "What is all this?"

Everyone surrounds the chess board on Stiles' desk to examine the pieces better. Nearly every chess piece has a sticky note with someone's name on it. My name is written on a chess piece- the queen to be more exact- surrounded by Ethan and Aiden's names. Isaac's piece is taken off of the board, confusing me even more. 

"What are these sticky notes for?" Argent asks. 

"This is what Stiles used to try and explain to me about all of-" Mr. Stilinski pauses to look up at all of us. He glances back down at the chess board that Stiles had labeled. "You."

Allison looks over towards me. "Cool, maybe it a message from Stiles. The real Stiles."

I reach over the board to pick up the chess piece with my brother's name on it. Why would his be taken off of the board? What would that mean in Void Stiles' mind? Does that make it out of the game? I don't think this is a message from Stiles. This is all part of the Nogistune's plan.

"You think there's any reason my name's on the king?" Derek asks all of us.

"Or why I'm on the queen?" I add my own question, placing Isaac's piece back on the desk. 

Mr. Stilinski looks between the two of us. "Well, you're both heavily guarded. Though, I'm guessing the alarming detail is that you're one move from being in checkmate." He nods at the king's piece.

I lean forward on the desk, eyes narrowing at my piece. "I've never really played chess before, but isn't there a thing called a queen sacrifice?" I lift my gaze in questioning at the others in the room.

Argent nods, "A queen sacrifice happens when in order to gain a more favorable tactical position." He answers without seeing what I'm really asking. I remain silent, possibly forming a plan in my mind. "It's not a message from Stiles." 

"It's a threat from the Nogistune." I finish Argent's thought process.

"He's at the loft. That's what he's trying to tell us." Allison blurts out.

Argent nods his head once with his eyes glued to Mr. Stilinski. "And he wants us to come there."

"Night's falling." Derek reminds all of us with his arms folded over his chest.

My eyes move around the chess board. This is all just a game to the Nogistune. Derek is seconds away from being in checkmate. I'm labeled as the queen, for a reason I don't fully understand. That would make Derek and myself the most important pieces in the game. Why would I be so important to the Nogistune? 

"This couldn't sound any more like a trap." Argent continues.

"I don't think it is."

I sadly frown at Mr. Stilinski, "I think your opinion might be slightly biased."

"Hear me out." Mr. Stilinski points at all of us, desperately. "What we're dealing with here is basically someone who lacks motive. No rhyme, no reason, right?"

That's not right. I think the Nogistune has more motive than he lets on. He always seems to be several steps ahead of us. I think he has more planned out than we give him credit for. All of this- the chess board- this is a set up. He wants us to show up at the loft, not because he wants us to, but because he knows we will show up anyways.

"Meaning what?"

"Our enemy is not a killer. It's a trickster. The killing is just a by-product."

Derek gives him a doubting look, "If you're trying to say it won't kill us, I'm not feeling too confident about that."

Mr. Stilinski shakes his head, stubbornly. "It won't. It wants irony. It wants to play a trick. It wants a joke. All we need to do is come up with a new punch line."

A new punch line. Something that will throw the Nogistune off guard. Something that will make it think he is winning, when it's actually the other way around. I keep my thoughts to myself. I can't tell anyone what I'm planning to do. No one will let me do it. If I'm such an important piece in the Nogistune's game then I need to play my part a little more. 

"The sun is setting, Sheriff." Argent states, merely glancing out of the window in the bedroom. "What do you have in mind?"

I'm going to sacrifice myself to the Nogistune to save Stiles.

XXXX

You know, I was really thinking of continuing to where they are at the loft, but I'm going to make you guys worry about Chloe's plan instead until I update. She's making a big move here. A move so big that she's going to sacrifice herself to save Stiles. I mean, an Alpha like her is probably a tempting offer for the Nogistune.

No one is going to like this plan of hers, which is why she is keeping it a secret. Everyone would be against it. 

The next chapter will be a pretty good chapter. Pretty intense, too. 

Question: How do you think everyone will react to Chloe giving herself up to Void Stiles?

So, yeah!