36 - Together

Wherever Void Stiles brought us, it was clear that this place is abandoned. I don't remember how Lydia and I ended up in the basement of this place, yet I know we are somewhere still in Beacon Hills. How do I know this? I have no idea. I don't think we traveled far enough for us to be outside of the city.

Lydia woke me up first. She was genuinely freaked out. Not that I could blame her. I was just as freaked out, but I had to remain calm to Void Stiles. I needed him to believe that I was on his side. The last thing I remember is being in Lydia's car in some parking lot. Everything went black after that. Void Stiles must have knocked us out.

The cement flooring was starting to make my butt go numb from sitting for so long. Lydia has been pacing the small hallway, from the blank wall to the wall lined with large pipes at the top. The hallway seemed to stretch on for forever.

"Lydia?" I whisper her name to keep Void Stiles, who had disappeared for a few minutes, from hearing.

Lydia squeezes her eyes shut while leaning against the pipes along the wall. This place has a lot of history behind it. From what Lydia was muttering under her breath, this place was a Japanese internment camp. Lydia has sounded like she's been in pain ever since we've been here. From clutching her head to muttering under her breath, it was obvious that her banshee abilities were truly affecting her.

"Lydia?" I whisper a little bit louder. I need her to be able to hear me over the voices in her head.

Her eyes snap open at my voice. Shakily, her whole body angles in my direction with her eyes widening. The horrible things she must be hearing right now. "Chloe?" Lydia's voice is weak and uneasy.

"I'm sorry." I tell her.

Lydia's eyebrows furrow together from my lack of words. After a second, her lips part to ask what I mean until a dark voice echoes throughout the hallway. The voice we've been dreading to hear ever since we were kidnapped. The voice that sent a shiver down my spine and it wasn't because of the cold temperature in the basement.

'I'm sorry' isn't enough of an explanation of everything that is going on. There's part of me that wishes I could tell Lydia more about everything. A bigger part knows that sharing too much information at the moment would be a bad idea. It was hard enough to convince myself to be friendly to Void Stiles. I don't want to explain to Lydia my reasoning for it.

Without telling Lydia of my plan, she's going to instantly hate me when I offer to join his side. She won't understand why I'm doing. Why I'll offer for the Nogistune to possess my body instead of Stiles. I know the Nogistune won't take the offer, but I need him to think I am faithful. I need him to think that I'm on his side.

"Can you hear them?"

I scramble to my feet to stand beside Lydia. Far down the hallway, Void Stiles is seen standing.

"Louder than usual, isn't it?" He taunts Lydia, knowing full well that she's hearing all of the people who were at the internment camp years ago. "Well, that's because a lot of bad things happened down here." With each word, he takes a step closer to us. Eventually, he'll be standing right by us. "What are the voices telling you? Are they saying that Stiles is dying? He is, you know."

I suck in a deep breath. Stiles can't be dying. Sure, he did look pretty sick and weak before he was possessed by the Nogistune, but he can't be dying. He just got his body back. Why is he not okay? An aching sensation fills around my heart. I need Stiles to be okay.

"He's dying." Void Stiles states with a broad smirk.

Lydia grabs my forearm as she moves down the hallway to get away from him. "Then what do you need us for? You think we can tell you something?" The two of us come to an abrupt stop when we turn left into another hallway and run into a gated door.