4

In the morning, I was abruptly awakened by my usual alarm clock. I realized I was already late for class, and with biochemistry on the schedule, being late was not an option. I hurriedly got ready, feeling a mix of anxiety and embarrassment. I knew I would have to face Minji's displeased gaze. Avoiding eye contact, I made my way to my desk, feeling like I wanted to disappear.

I was somewhat relieved that she didn't say anything, but her intense and cold glare made me uneasy. I remembered her words about not tolerating late students, but oh, how I longed to see warmth in her gaze, to catch a fleeting smile. It felt like she was an impenetrable fortress. I missed those brief moments that I probably imagined, but they meant so much to me. And every day, it was getting harder.

The class went smoothly. I managed to gather my thoughts and focus on the lecture. I deliberately avoided looking up at the teacher, trying to keep my mind from wandering and to avoid catching her cold, disapproving gaze. Finally, the bell rang. I wanted to escape, to hide from that searing coldness, from that captivating woman. I even decided that I would "forget" my grade book. As I packed my things, I seized the opportunity to make a quick exit.

"Do I need to bring my grade book today?" I asked Miss Minji, hoping to make a hasty escape.

She responded in a stern, metallic voice, her eyes fixed coldly in my direction, seemingly ignoring the boy who was speaking to her. Startled by her gaze, I abruptly slowed down and turned around. Lowering my eyes, I slowly made my way over to her desk, where the boy was eagerly awaiting her response.

"Okay, I'll collect it from you by Thursday," she told the boy.

With a sense of relief, he happily scampered away.

"Running away?" she asked, her tone sounding entirely different—softer, warmer than just moments ago. It was these moments that made everything worthwhile. But I couldn't bring myself to answer her question. It would be foolish to make excuses, as my intentions were clear. It became difficult to meet her gaze, but the warmth in her eyes and her smile dissipated any negativity and resentment that I had ever felt.

"Next time, if you're late, I'll have to punish you!" Miss Minji said playfully, a mischievous grin on her face. What are you doing to me, Minji? My imagination immediately went wild. I was afraid to even contemplate the range of emotions that must have been written all over my face at that moment. I couldn't and didn't want to look away from her. But it was necessary, I had to tear my eyes away before it became indecent.

"Will you punish the rest too?" I asked, unable to contain my smile as I locked eyes with her. It might have come off as impudent, but it slipped out on its own.

"Kim Yoohyeon, do I have a special relationship with you?" she replied, her grin still in place.

"No, I was just..."

"I won't be lenient with the others in the class," she interrupted me, her tone turning more serious. That smile, oh God, if only you knew what it was doing to me!

"Is everything clear, Kim?" she asked.

"I'll try not to be late, sorry," I responded without a trace of embarrassment. It felt like I was so confident and at ease next to her, despite her occasional coldness that was occasionally replaced by such pleasant warmth.

"Take this," Miss Minji handed me a piece of paper. "I meant to give it to you at the beginning of the class, but someone decided to be late," she said, a hint of a smile playing at the corners of her lips.

I took the sheet hesitantly and began to read: "Assigned Scientific Advisors for the 1BIO group." I quickly scanned the names until I found mine: "Kim Yoohyeon - Kmi Minji." What? Seriously? I couldn't believe my eyes. I checked it a couple of times and then looked up at her, my surprise and shock clearly written on my face. She watched my reaction closely, and it seemed to bring her pleasure.