12

Minji's POV

As I made my way back home, my thoughts consumed me. Kim Yoohyeon was the subject of my contemplation, and I couldn't help but wonder how everything had unfolded like this. Who are we to each other? When did we manage to cross that delicate line? Since when have I found myself thinking about her so frequently and openly? What am I doing, and why? Unfortunately, I had no satisfactory answers to any of these questions. There were only thoughts of her. Thoughts of this shy and sweet girl. Yoohyeon, when did you transform from an ordinary student into someone so special to me?

Lost in a flurry of questions, I hadn't even realized when I arrived home, entered my apartment, and collapsed onto my bed. I'm an adult who should be accountable for my actions. I'm a university teacher, for goodness' sake! I have recognition and respect among my colleagues, and many students fear me. But what am I allowing myself in regards to this girl?

It would be foolish to deny that Yoohyeon holds significance in my life, that I have developed feelings for her.

Everything feels different with her—everything is purer, more sincere.

But do I have the right to be with her? Do I have the right to think about her?! I'm her teacher, not to mention the fact that I'm a woman and ten years her senior.

Allowing myself to cross this line feels neither pedagogical nor moral. Yet, how does one say "no" when it feels like an essential need?! It may seem trivial from an outsider's perspective, wondering why I'm burdening myself with such thoughts. But she's innocent. Can I take that innocence away from her? The issue lies not in my gender but in my role as her teacher. However, when she's near, I forget everything. I'm left with two choices: either allow myself to forget about everything, including my professional status, or try to forget her altogether.

Yoohyeon's POV

As I entered the apartment, my mother immediately bombarded me with questions.

"Yoohyeon, why did you lie? We were all at that age," my mother swooped down on me with a smile.

"Come on, tell me, who is it that gives you a ride in the evenings by car?"

"Mom, where did you get that?" I asked, genuinely surprised.

"I was watering the flowers and saw it from the window. Come on, spill the beans!"

"Well, actually, I did study with the teacher. After our conversation on the phone, she insisted on giving me a ride home," I uttered, observing the disappointment that flickered in my mother's eyes. If she only knew the whole truth...

I headed to my room. So, what are the requirements for the assignment? Hmm, a maximum of five pages... that's doable. Since she wants it, I don't really have much choice, although I wouldn't mind getting involved in scientific activities myself.

By the way, tomorrow is Siyeon's birthday. I promised to join them, even though it would be more enjoyable to celebrate such a day with a loved one. Well, since I was invited, I can't refuse.

I fell asleep quickly, but the night passed too swiftly. Morning arrived, and I got up. Today is going to be a long day.

A pleasant aroma of coffee wafted from the kitchen. Mom was preparing something.

"Did you get enough sleep?" Mom asked.

"Not really," I mumbled, chewing on a sandwich.

"What are your plans for today?"

"It's Siyeon's birthday today. After school, I'm going to her place, alright?"

"Oh, right, I completely forgot. Say hello to her! Are you staying overnight?"