Chapter 26

Four more chapters left.

Let that soak in...

   I felt awful. My body hurt all over and I'm pretty sure I still have a hole inside of me. My vision, while blurry, could see two figures around me. Putting the pieces together, I guessed that it was either camp-related or Bruce-related. I'll shoot for the ladder.

   "Hey, Nico, are you ok? Who is J?" That voice finally registered as Percy's. Darn, this means it's camp-related.

    "I have to-" I gasped taking in a deep breath. "I have to stop him." Man is it just me or is breathing really difficult.

   "Who is 'him'? Nico are you in trouble?" The other voice was Will, and I internally groaned. I tried to sit up but my body was on fire.

   Figuratively, of course.

   "I have... I have to go... I-" I soon became dizzy and I felt my eyes roll back into my head. The shadows around were pulling me in every direction. Soon I dissolved and disappeared.

   I woke up back in the rubble of J's funhouse. No one was around and every part of my body hurt. I slowly stood up looking around for any sign of life. My head was pounding and I'm pretty sure I was bleeding internally again. 

   "J..." I rasped. My voice was scratchy and not very loud. I wobbled around looking for anyone. There were a few rats running around, but no human life in sight. "J! Where are you..." I stumbled on one of the larger slabs on concrete, effectively falling over and hurting my stomach wound even more than it already hurt.

   I pulled up my shirt to see many stitches pulled away and the wound was opened. I sucked in a deep breath. I silently cried out, the pain unbearable. I let the shadows take my body away once more and I shadow-traveled away.

   When I came out of the shadows, I was deep underground. There were multiple people all in different clothes with many different weapons around me, all in circle. J was in the center of that circle, Harley at his side. They were talking while looking over a large map until I unintentionally groaned. J looked up at me with a dead serious face.

   "I'm glad your here Nico. Let's get those wounds healed. You need to be ready to fight later today."

   I looked up at him. "Why later today?"

   "We're burning New York to the ground."