Chapter 1

Life is like a boat, all it takes is something to hit that boat and everything turns upside down. That boat was my relationship with Will Solace. One minute we're on cloud nine- the next minute he breaks up with me. But that's a relationship, sometimes you just have to find the right one, the special person in your life. I thought that person was going to be Will, but I guess I was wrong. So I left, and on my own, I discovered several things.

1) I could be a strong, independent man of my own free will.

2) I found out that I have a strange love for grapefruit.

3) My father and I have achieved a better relationship which is always a good thing.

I rented a new apartment in one of New York's infamous cities; Gotham. I signed a lease and moved in with Percy's help. He'd come to my rescue multiple times now, and I thank him whenever I can. I finished moving into my new home on January 27, one day before my 17th birthday. Percy, Jason, even Leo helped me decorate the place, but with modern décor, not skulls and other angsty stuff, I was into when I was a little kid. I'm almost an adult, it was time to act my age.

Man, I sound like Annabeth. **Visibly shudders** It's not that I don't love Annie, and I'm quite happy for her too. She's having twins. Percy and Annabeth are thrilled, from what I've heard- mind you, I hear everything- Olympus was boarding up. Why do you ask? Simple.

Percy is going to be a dad.

That's reason enough.

Anyway, my apartment had been all decked out, soft colors on the walls, fake plants, only because real ones die around me, and nice navy blue furniture via Percy Jackson. He doesn't know it, but he is an amazing decorator.

My apartment was actually pretty big- it had two bedrooms, one bathroom, a living room, and a nice kitchen that had an oven. I really wanted an oven. So, as I stayed up until midnight waiting for my birthday, the strangest thing happened. I was sitting on my couch, minding my own business when I got a knock on my front door. Curious, I sat up, walked over to the door, and opened it up. In front of me was a weird-ass-clown-man-thing.

"Oh hello, may I come in?" He said, giggling at the end of his sentence.

"Um, no?" I subtly closed the door, but the weird-ass-clown-man-thing stopped me. He pulled out a glitter-covered cartoon gun.

"Has your answer turned to yes?" The weird-ass-clown-man-thing cackled pointing that thing at me.

"No... Can I close my door please?"

"No, no you can not close your door. Do you have any idea who I am!?" The weird-ass-clown-man-thing looked kind of shocked but I just shrugged.

"Never heard of you, sorry. I would really like to close my door now." The weird-ass-clown-man-thing blinked a couple of times.

"Someone who's never heard of me... Interesting..." He turned to me. "I'm Joker, nice to meet you."

"Nico, nice to meet you." Joker held out his hand and I shook it awkwardly. Joker released his hold on my door and put his clown gun away.

"Well Nico, welcome to the neighborhood! I'm your new neighbor. If you ever need anything, just give me a call, 'kay?" Joker handed me a Joker card that had a phone number on it.

"Sure, thanks." Joker waved and left. I closed the door and then took a minute to think about what just happened. That was definitely... Different... And strange... But all and all enjoyable.

Look at that, I'm already friends with the neighbors.