Chapter 27

3 Chapters left...

I'm getting more evil by the minute...

   I was being patched up by one of the random villains that were in the room. J had given me the rundown on the plan a little while ago, and I pretty sure I got mostly half of what he said. I was given all of the Benadryl that I could ask for (which isn't much given that I don't know what that is) and I was rebandaged. The shadows around me pretended to patch me up, but I knew that it was a matter of time until I died. 

   I could hear Thanatos breathing. Not all that pleasant if you ask me.

   Thinking to myself, I realized that I never had actually finalized a plan to 'shadotage' this destruction of New York. In other words, words that I very much would like not to mention: I was alone in this. 

   I hobbled over to the active planning room. Looking out the large skylight above, I watched as the dark night sky grew even darker. Home sweet home turned sour soon after the room grew to an unsteadily cold. I was informed that that happened because of Mr. Freeze, so I stopped panicking momentarily about my upcoming demise. 

   "J, when are you striking?" I asked, looking around the room. Everyone seemed to be on alert, all watching me for some weird reason.

   "We will be striking at midnight, so about a few hours. You on the other hand will stay here. I know you can hear the bells." J looked away from me and walked to Harley. I stopped him and looked at him, my eyes wide with surprise.

   "What bells do you mean?" I asked, my voice deadly serious.

   "Your father's bells. Come on kid, I did my research."

   "How do you know about that kind of... Thing..." J looked up at the sky for a moment then looked back at me.

   "I escaped Death kid. I'm quite famous for it actually. I only started piecing the puzzle together after I saw you with Ivy, how you disappeared into the shadows. Just like the Reaper. Then I started thinking, "Hey Joker, how do you know that this kid isn't trying to take you back to Hell? How do you know he's not setting you up?" So I started to plan my own murder for you, that was until you weaseled your way into my black heart and actually made me care about you. Do you know how worried you made me the second time a building crushed you? And that time it wasn't even my fault!" I paused him mid-ramble.

   "Did you intentionally try to kill me the first time?"

   "Eh... Doesn't matter now. Look, you are not coming with me. You are injured."

    "Well I'm going to die anyway so what's it matter?" J gave me a hard stare. He gazed over at Harley, who gave a slight almost nonexistent nod. J sighed, and looked back at me. "You get one hour in the field. Do not disappoint."

   "Who are the targets?"

    "Innocents. Anyone you see." He pulled me closer so I could only hear this last part. "If you want, you can minimize the population of the people helping us, only Harley is off-limits."

   "I wouldn't harm Harley ever J." J nodded and walked over to the Penguin. 

   "Bird, what time is it on your pocket watch?" Penguin scoffed but looked at his watch nonetheless.

   "It's about 11:57 pm, Joker." J smiled.

   "Then we leave now."