0.5

Chapter 5: Life support

A woman walks up to them once the crying dies down to numbness. She sits next to them and smiles sadly, her red hair reminding Louis' of Austin's own. "Hi, I am Kathryn. I know this is a very hard time for you," she places her hands together and drops them to her knees. "But I need to discuss a few things with you..."

"Okay," Jeremy agrees and rubs Louis' back as the boy silently cries.

"As you may or may not know, Austin is an organ donor..." Louis nods. He knew. Him and Austin had both made the decision to become one after losing a friend who couldn't get a transplant. "We have him on life support at the moment to keep his organs going... Does he have any close family? We just need a signature to say we have discussed it."

"I'm the closest person to him," Louis speaks, voice cracking harshly. "His parents died and he doesn't speak to any of his other relatives."

"Would you be able to come with me to my office? I'll just get you to sign some papers and then you can decide if you want to go say goodbye to Austin."

Louis stands up shakily with the help of Jeremy, who supports his walking to the office and allows Louis to go in himself. The boy slumps in the chair and grabs some tissues off her desk, wiping his tears from his red, tear rashed cheek.

Kathryn hands him papers and he sloppily fills them out, tears falling onto the paper and making some sections translucent. "What does this mean?" He points the pen at some of the wording.

"We give family members of the donor the option to write contact details down, just in case the person who gets the organs wants to reach out. You can just skip that section if you don't want to—"

"If anyone with something of Austin's wants to reach out, I'd be happy for them to," Louis signs his name and fills out the details. Giving someone the ability to live their life is what him and Austin had wanted when they agreed to be donors, so if Louis could see what the love of his life did for someone else, he knows it'd make him happy.

"Now we have that over and done with, would you like to see him?" Louis glances up at her and nods.

A/N: thoughts?