nine

( track 10: )

❝  wouldn't it be nice ❞
the beach boys

0:00 •——————— 2:25
◀ || ▶

rodrick's point of view

“time's up! alright everybody gather around and pass all of your test papers. and remember students, pass it properly.” everyone started passing their test papers on each row which i personally find a little too extra since they're still going to be compiled out of order.

“heffley, pass this to your front.” a student behind me handed over the papers. i noticed that hazel's paper was in front, making me glance at her seat at the very back.

hazel was staring at the window shaking her leg, looking unamused about the class.

“heffley!”

i immediately placed my paper to the pile then handed over to the person in front of me.

“okay that is all, thank you for cooperating with me.” our english teacher picked up a few of her stuff then opened the door.

“miss clark, you almost forgot about our homework.” one girl spoke, making everyone groan.

“oh that, thank you for reminding me sweetie.” miss clark went back to her desk then bent down to get the homework.

“way to go, chloe!” ben shouted in a sarcastic way as sighs and aww's filled the room.

“the only people who passed their homeworks early were hazel lee, chloe stills, aaron fox, and denise guiley. the rest, i received nothing.” she dropped their homeworks to her desk. “i'm giving all of you another day to pass your homework. if any of you don't pass your homework tomorrow, you'll get an f from me.”

chloe picked up the finished assignments from miss clark's desk then passed it back to the owners. one of which was hazel.

i turned to see hazel recieving her folder back with a smile on her face. she must've gotten an a or a b, hazel's smart. i got a b+ ever since mr allen paired me with her for science.

all of a sudden hazel's eyes were furrowed, pursing her lips as she closed her folder violently.

“miss clark, why did i get a d?” she stood up from her chair.

“you might want to ask yourself that question, miss lee.” everyone laughed at miss clark's response, making me feel bad for hazel.

“but miss clark, i worked hard on this!” she walked closer with the folder on her hand. “i had to borrow money just so i could buy supplies for this. i can't have a d. miss clark, my parents will kill me.” she pleaded.

“not my problem.” miss clark responded as the bell rang. everyone stood up from their tables then raced towards the door, leaving me and hazel in the room.

hazel just stood there looking down on the floor, frozen.

before i could even speak, she rushed to get her stuff then ran outside the classroom.

“rodrick!” i hear ben call, making me run out of the classroom as well.

“hey,” i panted as both of us started walking through the school halls.

“what took you so long?” ben asked. “chris and i were waiting for you outside the room.”

i snickered at ben. “it was just a few seconds, how in the hell was that long?” ben rolled his eyes and chuckled.