fourteen

( track 15: )

this is war
ben kweller

0:00 •—————— 2:26
◀ || ▶

nora's point of view

my family and i just got home from church and it was odd not seeing rodrick and his younger brother in there like they usually do. it made me wonder: did they get in trouble? did they oversleep? were they grounded?

susan and frank heffley were there though, with their youngest child manny. i thought about asking them about rodrick during communion, but i didn't anyway since i didn't want to sound desperate.

i removed the itchy sunday dress off of my body then slipped on a green shirt, a brown jacket, and some plain jeans, planning to leave the house again.

my grandmother called me last night and asked if i could visit her in the retirement home, which of course i said yes. she and i would hang out by teaching me how to do crochet, sometimes even playing bingo.

i wore my bag on my shoulder then ran downstairs, seeing my mom talking to her friends.

"i'm going out." i sighed, not even caring if she could hear me or not. as i was about to reach the door handle, my mom cleared her throat.

"and where are you going?" she asks.

"grandma. retirement home." i unlocked the front door then fled as fast as i could, feeling excited to see my grandma again.

the only thing i like about weekends is because i get to do whatever the hell i want (well, almost). also because my therapy sessions are usually on weekends. i only had to see her on the weekday the other time because noelle realized that i haven't been visiting kelly for almost a month.

at that time, i was almost confident about the thought that i might be better off without a therapist since i've started to feel better on my own—until i realized my moods were starting to fluctuate again that it bugs my everyday life.

after minutes of walking, i hopped into a bus then sat on an empty seat near a window. i took out my phone then pressed kelly's number in my contacts.

"hello kelly? are you available this afternoon?" i asked.

"hazel, is this you?"

"yes kelly," i replied, scooting closer to the window as i let woman sit beside me. "it's hazel. i'm currently in a bus. i was planning to visit there again since i've got some things to say."

"of course darling! my office is always open for you." kelly gleamed, making me feel delighted.

"thank you kelly, i'll be there at around 4 p.m. my grandma called me the other day so i had to visit her today, i'll see you later."

"stay safe out there! i'm just gonna go and get some coffee. bye!" she dropped the call.

while staring at the window, i pulled out my earphones from my pocket then plugged it into my phone, leaving my playlist on shuffle.