twenty-four

( track 25: )

she bop
cindy lauper

0:00 •------ 3:49
◀ || ▶

nora's point of view

"3! 2! 1!"

"happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." the whole room sings as the cake was served to the celebrant, anna.

"happy birthday to you!" we sang as she blows her candle, making everyone cheer.

"alright everybody, it's time to eat!" the celebrant's mother invited everybody to visit the buffet while the 4 of us have to perform for them. it sort of reminded me of my aunt, who told me that me pursuing music would only make you eat after the party ends like it's a bad thing. though that cake looks delectable right now, we already ate brownies before the gig started because i knew any of us might feel hungry during the performance. anna's mom also promised us to give us food when the party's done so it was pretty nice of her to do that.

beads of sweat started forming around my forehead as i took out our setlist from the pocket of my costume. we were asked to wear these ridiculous frilly dresses with colorful dots on them, we basically looked like clowns.

"alright everybody thank you to everyone for attending anna's 12th birthday party! anna, we would like to thank you for inviting us to your wonderful celebration, we truly enjoyed being here with you." the guests cheered as the girl mouthed you're welcome! to us.

people started gathering around the buffet while all of us just stood there, waiting for our cue to start-well, we did start earlier by singing a rock rendition of womanizer from britney spears as per the celebrant's request. it's kinda funny that she literally has no clue what the song meant, would love to see her realization once she grows a little older.

"this next song that we'll be performing you might not have heard of before...or maybe you have, i don't know, but this song is called romance by wild flag so sit tight and we hope you enjoy your lovely afternoon." i rolled my eyes as i turned to face the three, already wanting to leave this place. "ready? 1, and 2, and 1, 2, 3, and..."

penelope and i started playing the intro of the song, which caused a lot of stares from the eating guests. as we were about to reach our third time playing the riff, the drums and the bass followed.

"hey! hey can you feel it?
the way it sways ya'
the hum in your chest
you make my feet move, you turn my head loose
that's why i love you the best..."

penelope sways to the beat while rue drum rolls, transitioning from a groovy sound to more of an upbeat...uh, beat.

"can't stop the bleeding
or this leaving, though i've tried
and when i return with those fresh burns
you're waiting inside!"

i shake my head vigorously, clapping our hands as penny, sofia, and i sang along.

"hey you've got me crawling
you've got me spinning
shake, shimmy, shake!
first, you wreck me
then resurrect me too much!"