we dont have a chance | dystopian love AU tom holland

dystopian au where love is illegal/considered a disease. people are assigned certain partners and are not allowed to be in love.

"and what if i just, say no?" you spoke out at dinner after an incredibly long lecture about the paring ceremony.

"you just can't! you will fall in love with who you are assigned, look at me and your father!" your mother proclaimed as she ate her peas.

taking your napkin, you wiped your mouth while mumbling, "yeah, because you two are so happy.."

they looked up at you shocked. your mother stopped eating and set her fork and knife down. meanwhile, your father placed his elbows on the table and sighed deeply.

"honey, it's for the best. love is a dangerous chemical for your brain to process. this is more functional for a society. we've talked about this.." as your father spoke you angrily ate your food, spinning your fork around your spaghetti.

you thought about him while he kept going on a tangent. he was saying all kinds of pro government, anti-love propaganda you couldn't stand. so you thought of tom, instead.

you thought of his laugh and the way his nose is crooked. his soft chocolate curls and his loving gaze for you. you couldn't help but smile at the thought of him touching you gently. stroking his fingers up your arm providing comfort. 

he was your neighbor and you two were best friends according to everyone else. what they don't know is that you're both madly in love with each other. somehow some way the government couldn't keep you two apart; despite the emotion-numbers you take every morning.

you love him and he loves you.

you tuned back in to your father as he spat his opinions over dinner, "its just simply not allowed, and you cannot mention this conversation to anyone."

fed up, you stood up from your chair and said, "can i be excused? i'd like time in my room to think.."

your mother allowed you to be excused and you ran upstairs without blinking before she changed her mind.

you got upstairs and threw yourself on your bed, defeated and angry. you felt like your entire world was coming down around you and without him in it. you turned over and looked out your window and saw two big brown eyes looking back at you. you smiled unintentionally seeing him in his room. he quickly got out his phone and called you.

you answered quickly and sighed, sitting up in your bed to face him.

"hey, darling," he trailed, smiling and happy as ever to see you. you couldn't understand how he was so happy when tomorrow you both would be forbidden to love each other.

"hey, baby," you said sadly, he picked up on your tone and made puppy dog eyes as to ask what's wrong. "i don't want tomorrow to come."

he thought for a moment before responding, "let's go out tonight, pick you up in 10?"

"we'd break curfew, tom." you exhaled.

"not if they don't catch us," he paused. "you know, there's still a chance we get paired together."

tom, always the optimist..