Cheers To Being Cheated On (sam holland)

summary: you get cheated on the night of prom and meet someone with a similar story, you end up really clicking and taking them somewhere no one knows about.

warnings: alcohol, cheating

word count: 1046

You take a swig of your paper bag, which really isn't a paper bag but no one needs to know that. You could feel the frigid wind on your exposed back from this dress. The dress you were so happy about wearing tonight. You were so happy not even an hour ago. Time changes fast.

You had plopped yourself down at the table just outside the school building. You didn't care that you weren't suppose to be out here, you just needed to get away from everyone in that room. Your hands entangled themselves in your hair, which was also ruined, and you put your head down, letting a few tears fall from your eyes.

Things were silent for a while. You could hear the little bugs singing their tunes in the woods behind the school, which was kinda relaxing. The moon as the only light source, since the school didn't want anyone out here they didn't bother with turning on the lights. You liked it.

You picked your head up and took another sip of your drink of choice.

"Rough night?" A voice spoke behind you. You turned around immediately and made an audible gasp in fright.

"Christ in Hell, dude! Don't sneak up on people like that!" You squealed, placing a hand over your chest. Like that did anything anyway.

"Sorry," He said quickly.

You looked at him, up and down, then back to the dark field in front of you. "Yeah, you could say so."

He hesitated but made his way to the other side of the table, not sitting but staring. You could see his face now, you still didn't recognize him though you probably should.

"You're missing a really fun party, they're playing the cha cha slide, you know."

You laugh, thankful he was being sarcastic. You motion for him to sit in front of you and he does, like he was already waiting for you to do so. You offer your paper bag out to him, he takes it and sips with ease.

"Where's your date? I'm sure she is missing you by now." You say as he hands you back the bag.

"Oh, yeah, shes missing me...while snogging another guy." He admits, tapping his fingers on the table. You could see the redness in his eyes like he had been crying.

"I'm sorry," You say to him sympathetically, he looks down for a moment, looking back up a few seconds later with a smile.

"What about you? You're not going to go all Carrie on the entire lot, are you?"

"No," you half smile, letting out a small chuckle. "my date--my ex boyfriend.. just was caught snogging someone else too."

You both look up at each other for a split second. "Do you think?"

"What are the odds-"

You both laugh for a moment, forgetting what has happened to the both of you. Forgetting the party behind those metal double doors. Forgetting everything but the sound of each other laughing.

"Cheers to being cheated on, I guess." You hold up the bag with a sad smile, swigging some for yourself before handing it over to him to take one as well.

"I'm Sam," He says, taking the bottle from his lips and handing it back to you, wiping his mouth with the sleeve of his tux. Which infuriates you entirely but you ignore it for now.

"Y/n,"

Sam smiles in the light of the moon and you do too. You quickly get an idea.

"Come with me, hurry!" You beamed, reaching for his hand across the table and dragging him along with you.

You let go of his hand as he got up and just sprinted past the double doors fast to avoid the eyes of anal chaperons that don't like fun. With the doors behind you, no one in sight but you and Sam you started running, him following close behind. You were thankful you had worn flats and not heels tonight.

"C'mon, hurry! We can't get caught!" You called behind you, rounding the corner of the school. Sam was right behind you as you reached the ladder to the roof. "Scared of heights?"

"No,"

You smiled and quickly turned around to climb the ladder. It wasn't very tall but it wasn't short either. You reached the top within a minute with Sam right behind you.

"You come up here often?" He asked you with a half smile.

"Couple times a week, tops. But only at night, come look." You take his hand and lead him to the other end of the roof top. You reach the edge and overlook the city below the both of you.

You saw this view often, but Sam hadn't. You looked over to him, his lips were parted in amazement at the view. It was dark but the lights made it so beautiful.

"I didn't know it looked this pretty." He said, still watching over the city. You didn't respond, you let the sound of nature and the lights speak for you.

Sam looked for a few more moments, letting it all sink in. "We won't get caught?"

"No cameras up here, you can't hear our footsteps below in the classrooms because of the music. No one comes up here. We won't get caught." You reassured him, looking over to him, and he was already looking at you.

His eyes were still a little red from crying, and probably so were yours. You could see his whole face now in the light of the city. His face was scattered with small freckles, which you thought to be adorable.

You both were just kind of staring at each other for a few moments. Not really sure why, you looked away and back to the lights. "Do you have to go home anytime soon?" You asked him innocently.

"No," He responded, looking back to the lights now as well. "Why?"

"Cus I kinda don't wanna be alone right now." You confessed, leaning your head on his shoulder.

"Yeah," Sam rested his head on yours. "Me either."

♡︎