maybe we need a break (peter parker)

summary: you and peter get into it after a rough couple weeks and you end up taking a break but it becomes the worst decision you ever made.

warnings: death, blood, violence

word count: 1180

You knocked on the door slightly harder this time. Where was he? Finally, you heard bustling inside and heavy footprints leading up towards the door. It swung open and Peter Parker stood in front of you.

"Hi?" You said with a bit of attitude, he didn't look happy at all. That's not like him, usually hes so bubbly.

"I thought we were hanging out later?" Peter said and popped a grape in his mouth. He was in his pajamas, which told you he forgot about your date.

"No, we said 4:30..." You trailed, tugging on your sleeve; a thing you always did when you were nervous or in an awkward situation.

"Oh," Was all he said.

"I mean, do you not wanna-"

"No, no. I do, I just- I'm really tired. Wanna just watch movies?" He suggested, you nodded your head and entered his apartment.

"May isn't home?" He shook his head and plopped on the couch and you followed, leaning your body on his as he continued to eat his grapes.

The movie went on but as you laid on him you just kept thinking. "Peter,"

"Hm?"

"This..this was the third date you forgot we've had." You said softly, you hated bringing things up but you couldn't let him get away with it anymore. It made you sad that he forgot and he needs to know that.

"Y/n," He began defensively. "You know its been a hard couple months.."

"No, Peter, I get that. I understand that you lost someone, but the way you've been acting.. it's like I lost someone too," Now you were getting defensive, you sat up facing him on the couch and he turned towards you as well.

"Do not ever compare me being distant to me losing-" He paused, looking down.

"I'm not saying it's the same caliber but I never see you, we never text. This is the first time i'm seeing you in two weeks and when you even forgot that...It just hurts, Peter." You could see his fist clenching beside him and you regretted bringing it up. You hated when you guys fought.

Suddenly, Peter stood up and let out a big, long sigh. He was silent for a little bit, you watched him and could notice his eyes to start glisten.

"I don't know what you want me to do, Y/n! I lost my THIRD father figure in my life and I am grieving once again, I don't need you down my back for my attention because if you keep it up, you won't get it!" He went silent again and you looked down at your hands, playing with your sleeves once again.

You slowly started nodding your head, you were angry but you know you had no reason to be. You were angry anyway. "It's been five months! Five long months and I was very very understanding for you and I stood by your side when you felt the most alone and hurt you said you ever felt in your life."

"Maybe I didn't need you there." He said viciously at you, which took you aback.

You got up off the couch and grabbed your bag. "Where are you-" He started.

"You obviously don't need or want me here so, I am just gonna go," You headed towards the door, wanting him to stop you but he didn't. You reached the door handle and opened it when you turned around. "I think we need a break."

Peter, in the living room looked up at you. You couldn't tell if he was sad or angry or both but he stared at you for a few seconds before uttering, "Yeah, for a while."

You left and shut the door behind you and walked back down to your car where you cried about what had just happened.

Later in the day, at 7:53 PM

I woke up to my phone ringing. I didn't even realize I fell asleep after I got home from Peter's. I grabbed my phone from my nightstand and saw I had 27 missed texts from him within 5 minutes and a couple missed calls.

As much as you wanted to ignore him, you called him back. Just to make sure he was okay. The phone rang for a little bit but eventually he picked up.

"What do you want, dude?" You said rudely into the phone.

"Y/n...," He sighed, sounding strange. "Something happened."

"Peter? Peter, what's wrong?" You said worriedly, sitting up in you bed. Ready to put on slides and leave your house.

"Corner of 84th and 85th, in the alley, please hurry." He sounded desperate and that made you even more scared.

You quickly threw on your slides and grabbed your keys, as you were leaving you threw your keys down. It will be faster if you just run rather than sit in traffic. Leaving your apartment building felt like years and when you got out onto the sidewalk, you hauled ass.

You bumped into almost every single person as you went by with measly 'im sorrys' or "excuse me''s. You ran as fast as you could and ended up there within five minutes. The alleyway was surprisingly dark, but as soon as you turned the corner you saw Peter.

You stopped dead in your tracks and covered your mouth with your hand. "P-Peter.." You cried softly, walking up to him.

"It's not as bad as you think-" He tried to say but coughed up a ridiculous amount of blood. "I was... out of my game, I guess. I didn't see the other guy pull out a gun and I- I ended up like this." His voice was so scratchy and weak.

You called 911, they said they would dispatch someone to the scene as soon as they could. You dropped to your knees beside him and grabbed his hand tightly, starting to cry.

"Peter, I-I'm so sorry about earlier."

"Don't....be. You were right," He coughed up more blood. "I should've made time for you." He looked like he was struggling a lot to keep his eyes open, you couldn't bare to look at it and you knelt your head against his chest, feeling his shallow breaths.

Suddenly everything that happened didn't matter. Snip-bits of your time with Peter was flashing through your head like a movie and you wanted more time. You needed more time.

"I love you, Y/n," He said softly to you and just like that you couldn't feel his breaths anymore. You looked up sharply and his eyes were closed and his mouth was slightly parted.

You screamed and cried and begged for his life to come back but to no avail nothing happened.

The police were way too late, Peter was gone and you never got to say that you loved him back.