Chapter 5 Brava

"What is this piece about?" Hyun Bin stood tall and proud in front of the apprentices as he waited for their response.

"Love?" Hyo Jin was the first to volunteer her answer.

"What about love?" Hyun Bin challenged them.

The class was silent as they dwelled on the thought-provoking question. Some of them were pretending to think, knowing full well that their brain couldn't come up with a decent response to the question. Some of them averted their gaze from their choreographer, too scared to offer their thoughts up for discussion. As for Ye Jin...

"It talks about love. But not in a positive way. It's negative. It's almost as though there's a push and pull between the lovers." Ye Jin bravely volunteered her thoughts about the piece.

"Elaborate more on that, Ms Son." Hyun Bin kept his face impassive although his heart was bursting with pride for his swan girl.

"The man is hurting. He wants her back but a part of him knows that's not possible. As for his partner, she left him. She has cut him from her life completely. But he's mourning their lost love even after all this time." Ye Jin explained.

"Push and pull." Hyun Bin's small smile did not go unnoticed by the apprentices.

"Push and pull." Ye Jin confirmed, smiling gently as well.

She could hear the smile in his voice when he said that. That was all the assurance she needed to know that they have reached an understanding.

After their dance last night, it would seem Ye Jin and Hyun Bin formed a new connection. He opened her eyes and heart to the deeper meaning behind the piece and for that she was grateful.

"Ms Son has generously offered one such interpretation behind the piece, a beautiful one at that. I need all of you to think about your own interpretation of the piece when you dance." Hyun Bin began to pace slowly in front of the dancers before he stopped.

"Today, I will be choosing the leads. Same partners as yesterday, we will do one last run-through before the audition. Give me your very best." Hyun Bin eyed everyone sternly when he said that.

With that, the dancers found their partners again right as the music started playing. Although it felt different dancing with Shin Young, Ye Jin tried her best to trust her partner to catch her and focused on feeling the music. It was clear that Ye Jin was no longer struggling with the choreography and she finally felt ready for the auditions.

Pair by pair, the dancers poured their heart and soul into the audition. This would be the make or break moment in their career. This would be their first performance as the next generation of apprentices at Seoul Royal Dance Company. If they do well, they would shine and all of them wanted to be that shining star. None of them was aiming to be in the background forever.

With the auditions out of the way, the responsibility was on Hyun Bin's shoulders to pick the right leads for the three pas de deux parts. He had a clear idea of who he wanted as the male lead but the difficult part was his three female leads. He had to find the right balance.

After a moment of deliberation, Hyun Bin finally made his decision. Ultimately, there were only three ladies who truly impressed him today. A hush silence fell across the room when Hyun Bin cleared his throat. This was it. This was the moment of truth.

"I have reached a decision." Hyun Bin's voice sliced through the tension-laden air.

It would seem most of the dancers were holding their breath as they waited for the results. It was truly a nerve-wracking moment for the apprentices.