Chapter 6 Picture Perfect

White beams of sun rays shone through the window of the dance studio in undulating pleats, dancing with the true masters of the studio. Occasionally, the sunbeams would either rise before softening or grow bolder in intensity, a true tell-tale sign that the seconds were ticking by.

In the front of the dance studio stood the charming young man who commanded attention just by simply breathing. His eagle sharp eyes were darting rapidly between the apprentices who were gliding and leaping across the studio as they executed the choreography flawlessly.

Correction. Flawlessly in the eyes of mundane humans like us. But in the eyes of the ballet legend himself, there was much to be perfected.

"Five, six, seven, eight. One, two-" Hyun Bin counted, his full focus on the apprentices' every movement.

Every sickled foot caused him to cringe and every floppy arm was immediately corrected by his razor-sharp tongue.

Hyun Bin watched over Ye Jin carefully as the boys lifted her up into her jeté. The landing was once again rough and Hyun Bin was growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of fluidity and transitions.

"Seven and eight. Boys, don't let her drop after the jeté." Hyun Bin said sternly.

Minutes later, they were trying the lift again when a loud yelp could be heard. Those who were watching saw how Ye Jin suddenly stopped dancing and how she started to lean her weight on her non-supporting leg. The poor dancer continued limping on the spot before she realised she could no longer stand. By the time Hyun Bin turned back to check out the situation, Ye Jin was already on the ground, her face scrunched up in pain.

"Is it a Charley horse, Ms Son?" Hyun Bin was by her side instantly.

"I don't know. My muscles just spasmed out. It's as hard as a rock now." Ye Jin's voice was tight with pain.

Hyun Bin felt his blood boil over the situation. He couldn't lie and say that he didn't see this coming. Time and time again, he has told the boys not to drop her. That constant impact on Ye Jin's calf surely contributed to the spasm. The boys were letting her fall on her one leg over and over again. They didn't take care of her.

And now, he had to pick up the pieces.

"Flex your foot, Ye Jin. Try to relax." He whispered as he took hold of her feet to stretch out her muscles.

"It hurts." Ye Jin's eyes were slightly teary as she felt her calves stretch painfully.

"I know. It's going to be sore for the next few hours. Just breathe." Hyun Bin's voice was smooth as butter despite the war in his heart. His top priority was Ye Jin right now and he needed her as relaxed as possible.

Pressing his fingers lightly against her calf, Hyun Bin noted down how tense her muscle was. His lips were pressed in a firm line as he manoeuvred Ye Jin into his arms and carried her over to the side. Her soft whimpers as she leaned her head against his chest tore at his heart and he wished he had been more firm about the lifts.

Suddenly, he was blaming himself too.

The fact was, he saw this coming. It could have been avoided.

Now, he was afraid. Logically, he knew that she should be ready by the next rehearsal but with a Charley horse, one may never know. The cramping could have a lingering effect on her and the last thing he wanted was for her calf to snap. Aftercare was crucial.

"I've got you. Just lay down." Hyun Bin urged.

Ye Jin leaned back to lie down as she was instructed to and she bit down on her lip hard as Hyun Bin treated her calf. This was the first time she has experienced a Charley horse and the odd tightening of her muscles was incredibly painful. She could feel Hyun Bin massaging her calf now, his soft silky hands working their way down in an attempt to reduce the tension in her muscles.