Chapter 10 Open Palms

Content Warning: Death is touched on in this chapter. Do skip the *** if you are sensitive to such topics! As usual, a summary will be provided at the end so you won't miss out on anything!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hyun Bin?" Ye Jin's voice was tight with worry when she heard a heavy thud.

The sounds of sobbing soon followed and that was what prompted Ye Jin to approach the man.

Every quiet whimper and every sob caused Ye Jin's heart to bleed for the man who has been one of the strongest people she knew all this while. The fact that such a strong man like Hyun Bin was now vulnerable only made him more human to her. All she wanted to do now was release him from the chains of his turmoil.

"Hyun Bin." Ye Jin repeated, kneeling down where he was in an attempt to offer him some comfort.

"Please..." Came his broken reply.

The brokenness in his voice stole Ye Jin's breath away and she almost gasped when she felt her heart shatter for him. Rubbing her chest slightly to smooth down the ache in her heart, a tear fell down the side of her face.

Slowly and gingerly, she found Hyun Bin's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, silently assuring him that he wasn't alone. She couldn't begin to comprehend where his pain stemmed from but she knew that nothing was worse than dealing with it alone.

Through the thin sheen of his tears, Hyun Bin could finally make out the delicate features of his swan girl. Somehow that gentle squeeze from her hands and her mere presence was immensely comforting to him.

Now that Ye Jin was with him, Hyun Bin was trying to suppress his sobs. He had to be strong for her. He had to...for the both of them.

Yet, his heart was screaming for her to save him. 

"It's okay. You'll be fine. Just let it all out." Ye Jin said softly.

That sentence was all it took for Hyun Bin to let go. With a pained cry, he found himself leaning into Ye Jin as he cried, his body naturally seeking solace from the girl that held his heart. Arms snaked around him and he nuzzled himself against her like a little child, wishing that the world could be kinder. What on earth did he do to deserve this?

Shushing him gently, Ye Jin simply held onto Hyun Bin, gently rocking them back and forth to ease the burden in his heart. In the quietness, the giver and the receiver of comfort clung to each other as they waited for the waves of pain to pass.

Moments later, all was silent again apart from the occasional sniffles and hiccups coming from Hyun Bin as his body shuddered from his breakdown. His eyes were puffy and bloodshot from crying, a true testament to the grief that ravaged his soul.

The pair was now leaning against the mirror, each lost in their own thoughts. That was until Hyun Bin decided he had to say something.

"I'm sorry I pulled you into this." Hyun Bin's voice was hoarse now as he spoke.

"Aniya, you're simply human. You did nothing wrong." Ye Jin reminded him gently.

Silence

"Do you...want to talk about it?" Ye Jin offered tentatively, sensing that she was potentially treading on sensitive grounds.

"It is not a burden for you to bear." Came Hyun Bin's curt response.

"Neither is it yours to bear alone. Try me." Ye Jin gently urged him to confide in her if it helps him sleep better at night.

Hyun Bin was momentarily touched by Ye Jin's stubbornness. It was the first time that someone stayed after he pushed them away. Ever since that incident, he has never once spoken in detail about his feelings. But could he really confide in her? Could he really bare his soul to her?